New to Truck driving and now working with unsafe equipment. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by 27butterfly, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Patty, in the big world of trucking as you may know inspection mean little. I have had a hard time just finding someone who would actually inspect my truck and tell me if there are serious issues with it. My former company insisted I use one company (they had a list of them all over the place) which was supposed to go through a strict enrolment procedure and be tested every once in a while. So I got an inspection, told the mechanic that I want him to look at everything because that is where I like a second pair of eyes and the very next day I got a L-1 inspection and a few violations that could have been fixed the day before. I won't get into the stuff I had to go through to get this corrected with the company but believe me inspections are not as they are supposed to be most of the time.

I don't like to tell people how to treat their children but I got to tell you I would never ever let my daughter drive a truck that I know is bad let alone work for a company that would put her in a truck that was unsafe. Your dad should show some backbone and quit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    IF oilfield is what you WANT to do, then right now many companies will take you for oilfield work, if you're willing to do more than sit in a truck. I lost my last position OTR, and while I hate having a termination on my record, it's been the best thing to ever happen to me professionally.

d o g, paul_4lp and 27butterfly Thank this.
  4. 27butterfly

27butterfly Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Pittsburg, Texas
    I have applied at several with no luck so far, but I keep checking back in, I will make #### sure they will not forget me lol. I have gone to construction companies, waste, feed mills, etc. I have had some look at me, look at the floor and say no they do not need anybody. I laugh but at the same time get mad, I am a women but was raised by three uncles who had my sister and I weed eating, painting apartments, fixing plumbing, fixing floors, you name it and we more than likely did it. I am not manly by any means but I can hold my own and have had to since my ex was a butt, so I just wish they would look and talk to me like they would any man.

d o g Thanks this.
  5. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Just from reading thread, I would say you need to be looking at the water haulers... all of them. Somebody...with good equipment...will hire you and be happy they did. There are a few crude haulers that will hire you as well. If you have Hazmat and tanker on your cdl, contact Sunoco. I know that they don't discriminate. Keep pushing..it will happen.

27butterfly Thanks this.
  6. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    I'm surprised to hear this. I see female water haulers fairly regularly. They seem to do it just as well as the men.

27butterfly and Arky Thank this.
  7. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I see female crude haulers as well. At Sunoco, there was 2 that worked out of the San Angelo yard, one out of the Drumright, OK yard when I was up there. Where I'm at now is almost all 3rd party carriers at the LACT and I've seen 3 different women here so far. I've never heard a negative comment about any of them.

So... keep looking. If they turn you away because of gender, you didn't want to work there anyway. If they have an attitude like that, you would be way more scrutiny than the men anyway. Find a company that not managed by idiots and you'll find a home.

27butterfly Thanks this.
  8. Dscott57

Dscott57 Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Hey Arky,
    Been reading your posts and appreciate all the information. Was just wondering if you were still with Sunoco. I'm gathering you moved to a different terminal. I am just starting school and plan to try and get on in Oklahoma. I saw you had mentioned you were in your late 40's, I'm uhh how should I say this, a more "experienced" fellow as well lol. Anyhow, just wanted to say hello and see how you were doing with Sunoco.

9. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Father knows best, eh? :)

27butterfly Thanks this.
  10. Congrats84

Congrats84 Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2014
    San Antonio
    Life>pay keep the priorities straight

27butterfly Thanks this.
  11. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    If you live near a yard, Sunoco is a great place to work. They have great benefits and a strong retirement plan. I would recommend them to anyone who doesn't have to relocate to work for them....or to get started in the industry.

Myself, it was just never a good a fit. It was a good place to start and get some experience. I have moved on now and my bank account is thanking me daily. I went from having my residence in Arkansas plus having a place to live out here to a sleeper truck where I carry my food...and bed... with me and go home for a full week once a month. My expenses are probably 20% of what they were and my income increased by about as much dollar for dollar as my expenses decreased. So...moving worked for me.

If you live near a yard (they have 1-2 truck yards every freaking where in OK) go for it. The negatives will be slip seat trucks sure you drive it 12 hrs and someone else drives it 12 (lots of drama and arguments come out of that). Short loads are tough to make money on...and they have a LOT of short loads in OK. The positives in OK were that management was great to work with and with me, working nights, I was left alone to do what needed done for the most part.

What part of OK are you in?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.