new to trucking/first orientation disaster

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JIMVAL, Feb 1, 2007.

1. JIMVAL

JIMVAL Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2007
    michigan
    I graduated from trucking school on 1/12/07 and have had one bad experience in orientation with gainey. got pre hired and drove my own car to grand rapids. first they didnt even have my name at the hotel so i payed for my own room. The first day went really good, did the drivers test first, then went for drug test. day 2 was fine all the way till 4 pm when they asked me to leave. I ask why and they just said front office wont hire you at this time. WOW I was pissed. I just got home yesterday and am now searching for a company again that has a pet policy. any advice from you would be great, thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Just a heads up if you have a dog, and your a new driver. It's a new trend that is starting among the bigger, better companies. Many have a pet policy, but as a 1st year driver you do not qualify to have a pet in the truck with you, until you have been driver for at least a year. Many of the recruiters do not seem to know this, I found out by a trainer prior to taking a postion. Sometimes, you have to point blank ask them to check with safety, and they come back stating, yes indeed its a new policy they were unaware of. Its hard enough to find & pay for boarding at a quality kennel for 5 weeks, much less 1 year.

I totally understand why they feel a pet could become a distraction for a new driver.....but it would be nice to know before oreintation. Some recruiters will hint at it saying, "Well we really perfer you not have a pet that first year, as you will have so much to get used to in your new life style" I have heard that canned statement more then once.

4. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    man dude that just stinks. i work for one of gaineys step children and they have a strict no pet policy and it's with all three companies. if they find it in your truck they will fire on the spot no questions asked. it's a new policy they just started this year.

5. CrewseMissle

CrewseMissle Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Boothbay, ME
    hey. I'm in with central right now and I have heard nothing but good. And I have had a better experience than expected and I love it so far. They have a pet policy you can have a dog 50lbs or less(I'm sure it's negotiable) even if your new but there is a 500 dollar deposit and only 200 is refundable.

6. Light Traveler

Light Traveler Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Somewhere out there...
    Sorry to hear about your experience JimVal. Just keep your head up and keep looking. And don't think on what happened to critically. It may cloud your judgement. Just remember to be more prepared next time, and you will be successful.

I remember viewing a post from this forum that listed critical questions to ask companies before you hire on with them. If you search the "newbies" section, I'm sure you can locate it. It's really helpful, and it contains over three pages of prudent questions to ask, so there are no surprises.

Finally, I'm sure you'll find the right company. Good luck.

7. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    hey, i believe "turbotrucker" was the thread starter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.