New To Trucking, Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Subizzle, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Subizzle

Subizzle Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2018
    I am a new guy. I have used the search feature extensively but still looking for some professional advice.

Brief History, Marine Corps Vet (Semper Fi to all you gun club members I am seeing post), 43 years old doing the career change thing. I am based out of Central Florida

Currently I have been talking to Prime, Wil-Trans, PAM and Stevens. Sadly Wil-Trans denied me today because of an accident that happened almost two years ago (I was not hurt, nobody else was involved) It is what it is, I was excited about the possibility with them. I am GI Bill eligible, Post 9/11.

MY current goals in this industry are to preferably get into the tanker business. Pay my dues, OTR, just gain some tremendous experience. I am not even thinking about O/O anytime soon and absolutely have 0 interest in any form of Lease BS.

I was excited about Wil-Trans (Though they are exclusively Reefers) and the possibility of using the GI Bill Apprenticeship program. Prime does not offer GI Bill Apprenticeship program. Stevens does. Not sure about PAM and realistically I am no longer really thinking about them.

I am considering more recently the thought of just using my GI Bill for a school here in Florida and knocking that out. My questions about that are the following. 1. I would go to school full time, with that said, what schools in Florida offer quality and a decent schedule. I Do not want to be in school for 8 weeks but at the same time I certainly do not want to overlook quality while being done in 3, unless that is feasible. 2. What companies in the tanker industry hire direct from CDL schools in Florida? 3. Would the time in school out of work hurt my work history background. I have been steadily employed or in College for well over 10 years now.

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Schneider hires and, I think, trains new drivers in their tanker division. Don't know about Fl. @19d?

Subizzle Thanks this.
  4. joesmoothdog

joesmoothdog Heavy Load Member

Aug 5, 2013
    OTR
    Bro, thanks for your service. I appreciate it. I can only ask that you think about a lot of different careers as well. There are many better options for someone in your current circumstances. If you chose to ignore that advice take a few days and hang out at a truckstop near you and observe.

Subizzle Thanks this.
  5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    @Chinatown. This man knows the trucking industry and who’s hiring, and he knows tanker very well. What’s your location? I am guessing Midwest. Never mind, just saw Florida.

Subizzle Thanks this.
  6. Subizzle

Subizzle Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Absolutely. I really did not get into my background out of personal choice. But let me just say that I have done numerous things since 2005, probably too many. A few were incredible positions in Power generation and Aviation. Also my Dad has been a O/O and driver for over 30 years now, my Grandfather drove back in the day and I have 3 incredible friends who currently drive that I have had extensive conversations with. I do not enter this realm lightly or completely blinded. That said, I do appreciate that. I know that many do not properly research and run head first off a cliff.

joesmoothdog Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Florida is loaded with good cdl schools; private and community college. The main thing is to make sure the school you attend is at least 160 hrs. Some tanker outfits hire from specific cdl school on their approved list and some don't care as long as the school is 160 hrs. Here's a list that hire new cdl grads. You can contact any you're interested in and ask if they hire in your area and about which school they recommend.
    Schneider Bulk - is a good choice to get started in tankers, plus they have the VA Apprenticeship Program.
    McKenzie Tank Lines - headquartered in Tallahassee.
    Trimac Transportation
    CTL Transportation -
    headquartered in Auburndale.
    Service Transport - www.svtn.com
    Superior-Carriers
    Tidewater Transit
    Gemini Transport
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Contract Freighters -
    www.cfidrive.com - dry van & has their own cdl school. Has VA Apprenticeship Program.
    Cypress Truck Lines - flatbed in Jacksonville & has their own cdl school.
    Sometimes websites aren't clear. They may lead one to believe "experience" is required, but if you read the fine print it may have something like "1 yr. experience required" or "graduate from an approved cdl school."
    Some also reimburse school tuition, and some of those listed above do that. Schneider Bulk reimburses up to $7000.00, so that's something to consider if that is important to you.
    Here's an example directly from Trimac website:
    Hazmat/Tanker Endorsements
    1 year verifiable tractor trailer experience or recognized driving school across North America. Click here to view approved schools where we accept graduates.
    Ask about our new Commercial Driver's License Tuition Reimbursement Program! (Up to $5000)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Dan.S Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.