New to Trucking. Should I lease out trucks?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by johnhawden08, May 18, 2022.

1. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    It was satire .

Why would you buy any business that you know nothing about how to run it profitably ?

as mentioned , your biggest problem will be finding drivers. And keeping them .

do you know the turnover rate in the industry ?
    It’s way over 100% for almost every company .

you do know that the average driver quits in less than 90 days , right ?

I used to own five trucks
    I made so much money owning and driving one truck that I bought more .

silly me , I thought hired drivers would work as hard as I did and take care of the truck like I did .

My wife is an accountant .
    The hired drivers worked 64% as hard as I did . And the maintenance and repairs went through the roof and halfway to the moon.

I’d get five years out of a clutch and most of my drivers would get 9-10 months and the clutch would be toast .
    Same with brakes tires etc .

That combined with the lower than expected revenue for each truck , meant that I was barely breaking even plus I had to deal with all the 3 am phone calls about flat tires , Dead batteries , running out of fuel, etc etc etc .
    Once my accountant figured out I was making less money driving one truck and having drivers in the other four , than I made with one truck that I drove myself , I just sold them all and got a normal job on the maintenance staff at a hospital .
    8-5 Monday thru Friday and a predictable paycheck every week , and paid vacation , and health insurance etc .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. merv85

merv85 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Dallas, Tx
    must be Instagram or InstaCoffee:cool:

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  4. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

Not all sharks live in the ocean.

Change all that to tacos, and my answer would be yes. Despite never working in a taco making type place.

I assure you I'm an expert on tacos. I make very good tacos.

I would roll the dice on a taco enterprise.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Good times, and bad times, come and go, but tacos are forever.

5. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019

Lol my cousin in law called me with something like this, he was so excited until I explained to him it’s the stupidest idea I ever heard and don’t do it. Guy was promising him trucks with lanes lol. All done consulting was the name, some idiot I even called him and he couldn’t answer any of my questions.

Opendeckin, Siinman and Long FLD Thank this.
  6. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    If you can make the big bucks with one truck, why not but a thousand trucks and roll in the cash?

7. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    @Ridgeline I’ve seen that billboard where that guy literally has a number up about how much he’s gotten off truck lawsuits. ####s honestly kind of sick.

Insta Follower: A millennial term used for followers of your profile and posts on the social media platform Instagram.

To the OP, I’m assuming you’re a millennial much like myself. Advice to you, don’t buy into the hype…nothing worth having is easy, especially this trucking stuff.

Cattleman84 and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is like they are in competition with each other.

“better call sam” does huge cases against trucks, Mike Morse had the billboards on 96 and 94 with the huge truck sign on 696 some time ago - he wins a lot against trucking companies and then you have Jeffery (we all know who he is), he was the guy who said how much his firm collected from settlements. There are others, I think some guy named Justice who had his signs in 75 and some Mexican owned firm that deals with the Spanish speaking victims of trucks.

9. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    I think that Justice guy who I saw down 75 nearby the racks. It even seems like the commercials are more geared toward trucks these days. Correct me if I’m just going crazy here but I’ve seen more “were you injured by a semi truck” commercials than I ever have growing up.

Its concerning because how many idiots are going to try a driver hoping to set themselves up and potentially cause a disaster due to the idiocy of it.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  10. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    There is one guy in the Nashville market that has commercials showing his past clients living the good live after being in a accident with a truck. Makes it look better than winning the lottery, poor people eat this stuff up.

11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Like that dirtbag, "The Hammer" on all those billboards in Indiana. Ambulance chasers make me ill.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.