new too the business, how to find good freight

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rulonwaholla, Aug 24, 2017.

1. rulonwaholla

rulonwaholla Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2013
    well i have 4 days in the business so far well i only gross 4,900 and my truck not the best on mpg im averaging 4.9 its a w900 2016. wow man i wouldnt expect this some brokers really are crazy with their prices who in the world moves soo cheap man wow its crazy this thing really bad i used DAT loadboard im having problems cause my MC is new so some brokers wont give me load. so what im doing are next day drop loads averaging from 2.50 too 2.00 a miles as a reefer is not the best but is a learning process

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Those next day reefer loads you should be doing 3.00 and up. What is your fuel cost per mile, pre ifta? If you start looking at it like that you will come up with the smartest way to buy fuel. Easy to quickly save money by where you buy it. Do you have yourself on a decent discount card yet?

rulonwaholla Thanks this.
  4. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    i have a credit card right now i dont fuel up every whete i try yoo get the cheapest fuel bro man idk if im at the wrong
    load board if i do that i will be stuck with no loads they dont wven wanna pay 2.50 atleast gotta call threw alot of broker too find a good one

roadawg86 Thanks this.
  5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You need to do 2 things
    1. Get a fuel card. The choice one of this forum is nastc. Search and read up on it. There are other choices, but get yourself on one of them. You are buying fuel in a very expensive way. Learn how the discounts work and price you will be paying and also learn how ifta works so you can plan where your cheapest fuel stops are.
    2. Create a short list of brokers who have regular freight in your lanes. You will start off with lots, but keep track of who is best to deal with for your business, use them the most. Don't rely on any one for loads back and forth. Typically they will screw you. Even the good ones will. You don't talk about the return load. You talk about the first load, none of that "round trip" crap. Often the return falls apart and you are the loser. Don't get yourself hosed.

fletcher, Hype6477, nax and 2 others Thank this.
  6. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    thank you yeah is a learning business is a hard one too not as simple as it looks

7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    It is a dog eat dog business. Knowing markets is probably the single most important part of doing it all.

Your truck should at least be in the 5.5 to 6.0 range most of the time. Unless you do a lot of idling or you like to cruise at 85 mph.
    I have a 2016 389 (also a brick) and that's about what I get with 500 cummins and doing reefer work mostly 78-80,000. If I break 6 that's a good day. I don't measure every tank though, I play the fuel game more often than I'd like with this unit.

8. rulonwaholla

Nov 6, 2013
    actually we have the same engine nd power i do control my speed im usually at 70 with cruise on im trying to go west tge east no good alot of cheap freight

9. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Come to Indiana. For the next week at least the money will be pretty silly.

10. luckystar

luckystar Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2017
    There are some good apps that will help with your fuel choices and they show pre ifta. I think nastc only has 2 classes a month of I remember correctly, so get enrolled now might take a couple weeks to get in.

11. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Did you have work lined up before you went into the business and it fell through. Or did you buy a truck and trailer then look for loads? It will be very important to find your work now, b/c it will become tougher in 4 months when refer freight is 1.65 per mile on load boards.

Ruthless, rulonwaholla and rollin coal Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.