New trailer spread spec

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Son, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm spec'ing a new drop deck & it's that same old question - make the fixed spread legal or f' it. I've put a down payment on a 51' Wilson fixed 24" kingpin with the axles set forward to 41' from KP to please Johnny Law. This will leave 8' of rear overhang from the rear hub to end of the trailer (that's a lot of dang overhang). Running legal is priority, not into hide and seek games with the coppers, but I wonder how this will balance out a load compared to a standard set back spread. Will I load out my 40,000 on the spread to easily with it shoved forward?
    I pull a 50' now with a fixed spread at the rear - not legal in some states including my home state of TN. I have never been bothered about this, but spec'ing new I'd just prefer to do it right up front & not be bothered by this down the road.
    Whats the opinion from the forum? I'm not concerned about the "ugly" look of a forward spread, just want a money making trailer that's not drawing DOT attention while still scaling out a nice load.
    Not interested in a slider

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Why a 51’? I’ve never pulled a step deck and I don’t run all over the country so I’m just asking.

4. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    Just seems right to me. I like a fixed spread - cheaper to build and cheaper in the long run with fewer wear parts. 1,000lb lighter & less messing around pulling pins and sliding. I thought that was for reefer's.
    Plus it's less to overhang if I'm going to build this to be kingpin legal.
    But my question is, with the axle set so far forward will I be able to fill out the bottom deck without overloading the spread.
    General drop deck freight - roll on equipment, crane loaded industrial machine's, flat bed freight when all else fails.
    Loaded a 40' high cube container thursday @ 50,000lbs. That put me at 48k on the spread. I would have been just that much more over weight with the new spec'd trailer....got me thinking about it.
    The weight was corrected before it rolled.......

5. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Why see you specing the trailer with a 24 inch king pin? All but our standard flats use an 18 inch king pin

6. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    If I'm trying to get "legal" then that's 6" less to hang over the rear. I run 18" now but have also run 24" and never thought twice either way. Slide the 5th wheel and it sit's the same.

7. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I guess what it really boil's down to - is it worth playing the game. I run my own authority & keeping a clean record is #1 priority. I try to be invisible to the Man. So that's why I spec'd a 41' kingpin. Build time is 10 weeks out so now is the time for second thoughts & aggravating my salesman.
    I'd keep my current 50' Doonan but she's falling apart on me. It's not what I'd call a heavy built trailer. Cross members cracking

8. Aces-N-Eights

Aces-N-Eights Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    Following.... Just got my own authority and considering purchasing a new step deck. I, however, am looking at a new rear axle slide so I dont have to worry about Johnny Law in TN, FL (eff CA).

9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Can you buy a permit in TN and not have to worry about your measurement? I used to buy the FL permit when I was running all over with a 52ft spread.

10. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm not sure but need to find out

11. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm building this trailer. Worst thing I've heard is that it will be ugly, I can live with that. Keim & Melton both spec 53' with legal fixed spreads so I guess it's no big deal. Just strange to me that owner opps don't run them.

12. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Because their a PITA. That's why o/o's don't run them...

SAR, mtoo and kylefitzy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.