New trailer spread spec

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Son, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't get what's a PITA about a fixed spread vs a slider.... Fewer parts to wear out, lighter & cheaper to build. This way your always 40k vs 34k & legal everywhere but Cali...but who really care's about Cali unless your west coast. They won't let my truck in there anyway

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I believe you said 51' just sounds right, but wouldn't a 48' with set back spread be legal everywhere? That's what I like, but I'd want it built with only an 8' upper so it could still have container locks..

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Fixed spread with a lift is a lot different than a fixed spread without a lift/dump. I suppose you didn't mean the latter...

SAR Thanks this.
  5. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I’ve always run a rear axle dump on spreads. In this case Wilson says they will not install given that the spread will be set forward. If it don’t cut tight I’ll wire one up

6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Rear dump with a forward set spread is going to give you a whole lot of overhang, might not be legal if you are running it that way empty instead of just using it for turns, and is going to put a whole lot of weight on it when loaded.

7. heavyhaulershotcaller

heavyhaulershotcaller Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2017
    South Central U.S.
    I think you will have problems keeping under 40k on the spread with that much overhang. My opinion get a 48' with 9' top to have a 39' bottom with the spread set at the rear and you are legally allowed 4' of overhang without needing a permit in all states, so technically you will have 43' of usable space on the bottom deck. Get a shallow kingpin around 15" and you will be able to run your 5th wheel in the center of your 2 drives which is sufficient. Also if I am not mistaken you are legally allowed 3' of overhang off the front of the trailer, so you have 12' of usable load length space on the upper deck.
    Also the 51' will be heavier in weight. Not that its just 3' longer, but with the tandem set farther forward the main beams that taper back to the front axle suspension will be shorter in length which means it will be heavier with the longer amount of shorter main beam height for the overhang of the 51'
    Me personally I don't like spread axles, but I don't like sliding rear axles either. I would consider either an 8' 1" spread or a sliding closed tandem. Now since you absolutely rule out a sliding axle then looking at the 8' 1" spread gives you legally 38,000# instead of 40,000#. With the front axle 2' more to the rear will throw weight to the truck more and not that having 6,000# of comfort room to scale your load out with a 10 1" spread is too much I personally feel that 4,000# of comfort room would be sufficient in my opinion especially with a good set of on-board scales. I say comfort room because you are allowed 12k on steer, 34k on drives, & 38k on 8' 1" spread that is 84k gross.

KL

Son Thanks this.
  8. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Most states will let you run more than 12 on the steer. On the overhang thing it varies by state, some you can’t exceed 53’ no matter where the overhang is.

Oxbow, SAR, cke and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

And some states you can't have more than 48' without a permit on a 48 or shorter trailer. 48' trailer= zero overhang without permit.

Oxbow, Son, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 5 others Thank this.
  10. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    That step deck will be worthless with the axles set forward like that. You will overload the spread very easily if you try and load any weight on the bottom deck.

Son Thanks this.
  11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Don't you just love when someone makes a blanket statement like every state allows four feet of overhang before requiring a permit?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.