New Transporter Checklist For a Unique Situation

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by The3SomeTrailer, Jan 16, 2019.

1. The3SomeTrailer

The3SomeTrailer Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Feel free to throw feces at me, call me names, etc. I know what I am about to ask is not going to be liked by the veterans of trucking around here. But by not wanting to waste anyones time, just pretend that I explained why I am doing this the way I am going to, and it makes sense, cool?

*Equipment*
    2019 F350 Dually GVWR 11,400
    Take 3 Model 40 GVWR 14,000

*Initially NO CDL* (weights will be well under 26,000 lbs)

*Registering a carrier specifically for a Georgia only Operating Authority. In fact, the truck will never go to a port, or go more than 50 miles from Atlanta. It will simply be shuffling cars around the metro area. THATS IT.

Thanks to the help from a few members who have truly gone above and beyond in guiding me, I am trying to make a checklist of everything I will need to have.

Will I be required to keep logbooks? If so, do they need to be digital or paper? I will be the only driver, never crossing state lines, or ports, and will be non-CDL initially, total daily driven miles will be roughly 100-250max.

Will I be subject to compliance reporting/inspections? What are these, what do they entail?

Insurance I am being told from others with similar setups will be roughly $960/month for my setup ($1 million public liability as an auto transporter and at least $150-$250k in cargo). IS there minimum amount of cargo required? Is it possible for 3 car wedge and a 7-car to both have, lets say $100k and both be legal? Anyone in GA with any input specific to this would be awesome.

If someone could outline what a strictly intrastate transporter should expect and be prepared for, SPECIFICALLY RELATING TO BEING LEGAL, and in what order, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    I drove a hotshot car carrier intrastate NJ for 2 yrs.moving luxury cars from dealerships to a customizing facility and then back.I was making 3 trips a day.Not once did I ever get pulled over.I did go through an inspection area numerous times and always got waved thru.That was in 91-94.The best thing to do is contact Ga.DMV and get it straight from the horses mouth. I'm sure you'll need all the basic safety equip.(fire extinguisher, triangles).No logs as long as you don't cross state lines.The rig I drove was a 90' F450 superduty with a 46'Featherlite aluminum triaxle trailer.I could fit 3 Full-size cars(Fleetwood or Towncar)with overhangs front and back.Needless to say it was hairy.The horse had juice brakes and the trailer electric.I always left way more stopping distance when loaded.The only mechanical problem I had(I did all maintenance and mechanics)was with the rear.The truck had those stainless covers over the rims and hubs and one day I noticed oil seeping from the hub cover.When I removed the covers,I saw the axle shafts had come loose.I had to replace all the studs and even had to helicoil a few of the holes.Threw the caps in the scrap pile.As far as insurance goes, just shop around and get the best price. Some other hands from your area could probably give you some names.I put 160k on that rig in 2 yrs.and made a lot of money,I just got tired of dealing with service managers and car salesman.One thing I can say if you take your time and keep an eye on your straps,keep your tires aired(mine were rated for 80,I kept them at 90)and watch your stopping distance,you'll do fine,I did.Good luck,if you have questions, don't be afraid to ask.

The3SomeTrailer Thanks this.
  4. The3SomeTrailer

Dec 25, 2018
    Thanks man. The first thing on my list to do tomorrow is get on the phone with the GA DMV just to double check it all. I appreciate everything you wrote.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Here are two resources for you. Georgia requires registration with the state Dept. of Revenue for intrastate operating authority, very similar to the FMCSA interstate motor carrier authority process. They also have some minimum education requirements that must be completed before authority will be granted. The insurance limits, record keeping and compliance issues are nearly identical to the Federal requirements since Georgia adopts Federal rules by reference for the most part.

Georgia Trucking Portal - Frequently Asked Questions
    Georgia Required Safety Training - Georgia Motor Trucking Association

To answer your other questions, log book not required if you stay within 100/150 air-mile radius and less than 12/14 hours on duty (same as Federal rules). Yes, you will need to comply with weigh stations, inspections and other commercial vehicle enforcement if you come across these on your route. Your truck and trailer will need annual inspections, fire extinguisher, triangles and working breakaway brakes to be compliant. Lettering of the operating carrier as well as your Georgia authority number. I believe GA also requires you to obtain a US DOT number as an intrastate carrier, but you would not need the MC number (which is the one that costs $300 and requires insurance filing).

The Georgia Motor Truck Association is a great resource for information and help with starting a GA based trucking company. Well worth your dues.

The3SomeTrailer Thanks this.
  6. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    You'll have to get vehicle and trailer inspected.
    I started a Georgia OTR car shipping company from scratch w a dually and Take 3 trailer with no help from anyone back in 2009. Put over 300,000 miles on the rig transporting vehicles to every state but Maine.
    Talk to your insurance company about the cargo insurance. Basically you need enough to cover the replacement cost of what you're hauling. I had 300K cargo policy hauling 3 or 4 cars and my insurance was around 2 grand a month.
    I'd suggest getting the CDL tho... For weight. Your truck is 11K the trailer will be around 6K. That leaves you w 7,000 pounds of cars. You will get pulled over eventually and checked.
    Get your CDL and you'll have air brake restriction and no tractor trailer restriction.
    Check out Eclipse Logbook. You can find it online. It's what I used.
    Look into Foleyservices.com They did my fuel taxes and kept me compliant. If you get pulled over and something happens you call them and talk to a pro who gives you the advice you need.
    Find a new or used auxiliary fuel tank for the bed of the truck and have it gravity fed to your main tank. You can shop for cheap fuel and save money.
    Buy 19.5 wheels and tires. I got over 200,000 miles out of my rear tires and around 150,000/fronts. That route pays for itself.

There's a lot to it and you could act like you're not for hire or be legit... Running under the radar like a cowboy was how I started and after getting pulled over a few times I went the legal route.

I drive a Kenworth now and it's been a few years but I'll try and throw you a bone if I can think of anything else.

7. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    You run 19.5 on a 1 ton? Aftermarket wheels?

8. ast26909

Mar 1, 2018
    Check the dually GVWR, I'm pretty sure it's NOT 11,400 my 2013 F-350 dually extended cab GVWR is 14,000 lbs.

I just save you from being impounded, you're welcome.

9. The3SomeTrailer

Dec 25, 2018

Both the 2018 and 2019 FORD F350 Dually diesel can have an optional 11,4000 GVWR package assigned and stamped on it. If you go on the site and design yours right now you can see the FREE option to have it labelled as such.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  10. ast26909

Mar 1, 2018
    I was not aware that can be done, even so it would not be wise. It's better to derate the trailer instead of the truck, you can buy a Take3 Ultralight with 12,000 lbs GVWR it's just the label difference from 14,000 lbs GVWR the trailer is exactly the same. When you sell the trailer it would have more value because it can be pulled with any other dually which are most rated HIGHER than 11,400.

You are not the only one trying to do 26,000 lbs or below, other people who are trying to do the same would be looking for a 12,000 GVWR trailer.

BTW, you can do it with a single rear wheel F-350 you are less likely to be pulled over.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.