New truck specs opinions

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by azspike, May 18, 2019.

1. azspike

azspike Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Looking at a new truck- I am a newbie and looking for some experienced members for their opinion. 2020 Peterbilt Daycab 579. Ill try to keep this short and I don't want to get into the used or brand issues. We haul fuel via tanker- city work- in the midwest- so no big hills just a few good city hills..lol. Most of driving is on city streets- but there is a some highway driving- about 10 miles each direction. The business plan is just in state city work. The Tractor I'm looking at has the paccar MX 13 430hp@1600. 3.08 axle. tires are 22.5. Wheelbase is 176, low air leaf suspension and automatic 12 speed. Besides brand choice- I am looking for good fuel efficiency, light weight and ability to pull as much fuel as we legally can. Specs out weight at 14,900. Any thoughts or red flags? My two main items of concerns were is this enough hp and the wheelbase size (too small?)...but appreciate all your expert opinions.

im6under Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rkw1969

Rkw1969 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I would personally go with the X15, 10 speed and a 3.70 rear ratio. If I’m not mistaken you should do 24.5 tires to keep your 5th wheel height at 52”. Keeps the tankers more level.

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Get rid of that 3.08 axle.........

if your doing city work at 80k you aren’t going to save fuel with it anyways....

You can raise the 5th wheel to get the height you need . Keep the 13L and 22.5 rubber to save tare weight.

The auto I could do without, but that’s your choice.....

azspike and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I know you said you didn’t want to get into the new vs used debate but here’s my two cents.

With only 10 miles of highway driving a few times a day I can guarantee you’re going to have dpf system issues. That’s not enough time to burn off the dpf which is typical done at highway speed.

We used a road tractor with an emissions system to shuttle trailers from a holding yard to a plant 6-8 times a day one mile each way. We had to do parked Regens every single day.

x1Heavy and azspike Thank this.
  6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Brand...get the one with the dealer that gives the best service in your area.
    Engine....either a 13L or a 11L but do NOT get a 15L.
    With the work you described,i would get a MX11.(i own one)

Might think about getting a pusher or tag axle instead off a twinscrew.
    Will save weight and if you make it a lift,save tirewear.

Get the longest warranties you can.
    @Belials can advise you on those.

azspike Thanks this.
  7. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Both Cummins & Paccar offer comparable warranties for similar prices.

If you have a great Peterbilt / Kenworth dealer in the area who can properly service a MX and that's what you are leaning towards - go for one. The warranties are great and Peterbilt is good at taking care of their customers.

If you don't have a great Peterbilt / Kenworth dealer who can service a MX, you may want to consider a Cummins. Again, the warranties are great but in my opinion their customer service isn't as great.

azspike and daf105paccar Thank this.
  8. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    City work and limited highway. I’d go with the MX11 and an Allison TC10. Peterbilt has it as an option. For the amount of stop and go you’ll have, an Allison would beat an AMT by a long shot. I’d gear for a top gear cruising rpm at 60mph, 1350 rpm or so. A TC10 and 3.08 would give you 1369 at 60 mph. That truck won’t be at that speed much anyway.

azspike and kylefitzy Thank this.
  9. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    I would reconsider a slightly higher number on the ring gear if you wont be doing much freeway speeds. And i would get the automatic.

I know... flame away my fellow truckers and tout the 13 and 18. My new 2019 12 speed auto... is a royal pain. It gets better fuel mileage out of the box than i was getting with my last truck, a 2015 gone at 560k.

Its not beating me and broken in old truck by a little... it is killing it out of the box by almost a mile per gallon.
    It hits every gear loaded... and skip shifts empty to the perfect gear everytime.

It will likely save 17k annually in fuel.

azspike and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I’d say just keep in mind if buying a new truck you might not do the same job with it forever. Try to aim for as much flexibility as possible.

Engine I’d go Cummins X15 100% and same with Endurant 12 speed auto. That combo works extremely good.

azspike and im6under Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.