New trucker, new truck..big oil leak

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Gix1k, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Gix1k

Gix1k Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2019
    **Sigh** I was driven 7 hours yesterday to pick up a "new to me" truck. A couple hours into the drive the car that was following me back called and said they needed to pull off due to their windshield being coated with something. We pulled off, cleaned window and got back on the road. I never thought the window problem was coming from me. About halfway home I got a check engine light with a stop engine light. As I said, first truck, had no idea what to do. I looked at the gauges and oil pressure was low. I pulled off into a gas station that was luckily some sort of a truck stop. When I jumped out under the lights I immediately noticed oil all over the rear tires and it was just dripping from all areas of the truck bottom from blowing out so long. I pulled the hood and checked the oil and it was barely on the stick. There was a number to a 24hr service person. He called me back and gave me a host of things it could be followed by $600 for him to come to me. I had about 150 miles until home. He told me as long as the truck had oil in the motor I could push on. I caught a ride to an autoparts store where I bought 20 gallons of oil. I got back to the truck and poured 7.5 gallons in it. It holds about 10. I started on my way. It held the oil pressure the rest of the way, bust just as I hit my home exit the light came back on. I was able to shut it down at home. The entire bottom of the truck is a oily MESS!!
    I called local mechanic and he's coming tomorrow to take a look. Do you all have any ideas what it could possibly be or how much I'm possibly coming out of pocket on this. These pics really just show the amount oil all over.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    instead of driving past the 2 hours after you left the place where you bought it, couldn't you turn around and go back?

was this bought at a dealership?

or private person with an "AS-IS. AS SEEN"...deal..???

that entire trucks needs to be power washed, then dye added to the oil, add oil up to specs, run it, check for leaks, but you would also need a black light to see the dye..

any shop can do this, but i cannot tell you how much it costs.

lastly, didn't you check all around and under the truck for any leaks?

if you had, you should have walked away

4. Gix1k

Gix1k Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2019
    I bought from a dealer as an "As is" deal. I was over halfway home, so it made more sense for me to get it home than to have it sit three states over and figure out another time to get back to it or find a mechanic in an area I am not familiar with.
    Yes, i did walk it over, got under it, etc. I did not notice any leaks.

rachi Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    ok, was a road test taken as well? then rechecked to see for leaks?

well in any event, you know it has to be cleaned up, dye added, and the use of a black light, to see the oil running out. of course, there is a very good chance that you can see the oil running out with out the dye.

good luck, i wish you no ill will, just asking questions

6. Gix1k

Gix1k Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Yes, we went out in it. I had dealer drive so I could listen for various things. Came back and I looked under it again and didn't see anything dripping. So discouraging as a startup and the biggest purchase to date being a bust on day 1.

rachi Thanks this.
  7. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well, an oil line popped off or broke? check the oil line to and from the turbo?

rachi Thanks this.
  8. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    What engine?? Im guessing cat as it has a yellow oil pan. Also it might be dum on my part but have you looked for where the oil is coming from?? That much oil leaking it will be a pretty obvious leak.

starmac, pushbroom and rachi Thank this.
  9. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I've never heard of using dye to find an oil leak. Oil pretty much is a dye. Besides, that leak is massive and a mechanic ought be able to find it right away.

OP:
    Pull into a TA/Petro or any truck stop with a shop (not a tire shop) and tell them you have a bad oil leak you can't find. They'll charge a hundred bucks for a check and advise and then you'll know what the problem is.

jsnell Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    oil dyes have been used for decades, and decades. yes a leak that massive might be found rather quickly, but the dye will pinpoint it.

and NO, oil is NOT pretty much a dye.....

How to Quickly and Accurately Find the Source of an Oil Leak | YourMechanic Advice

Dino soar, rachi and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  11. Lowboy456

Lowboy456 Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    I'd pressure wash it, fire it up and grab a mirror on a stick with a good light and see where its coming from.
    It can't be far from where its dripping on the ground. My air compressor line was dumping a gallon every 4 days. It wasn't nearly this messy though not even close. That's like an oil filler cap coming off.

I hope its isn't bad blow by caused by worn out piston rings, letting combustion into the lower engine and pushing oil out the dip stick. Surely its an oil line somewhere.

rachi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.