New trucks in North America. How much are they?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SamHornish, Jan 7, 2008.

1. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Yes, it is possible but it would be much better for you to come over here and work as a company driver for a few years so you understand how things work over here and have a better understanding of all the ins and outs. Also, while you're a company driver, you watch for good deals on used trucks, you learn what ones are worth buying and which ones are not.

You can earn really good money in trucking once you are good with your money AND (if you own your own truck) you can work for a company that gives you lots and lots of miles and a decent rate. Being an O/O (owner operator) is not that easy without working in the industry for a few years first so you can figure it all out, so to speak.

Trucking is actually really good in Canada right now, especially out west in Alberta where everything is booming and workers are very well paid. You will earn more per hour and per year living and working in Alberta than in almost any other province in Canada and oftentimes more than most places in the USA. It is booming right now but who knows when it will suddenly end? No one can predict the future :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SamHornish

SamHornish Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Moscow, Russia
    i agree with you, of course i will be a truck-driver first, its no problem for me, your coments help me a lot
    .............................................................................
    A heard that many newbs usually begin to work for Swift transportation or Schneider trucking and they dont feel like what they do, even hate these companies cause of old trucks and low salary. Is it true? Why do they agree to work for these companies?

In Russia there arent any serious companies like Swift. If someone owns 50 or 100 trucks it means that this company is giant. But! It s no good to own a big trucking company in Russia cause of driver's fuel stealing and drinking vodka ( im absolutly sirious). Too difficult to control drivers in a big company in Russia.

I have a question! Do the swift and schneider make a sirious competition to single owners and smaller companies? May be during 2-3 years there will be only these 2 companies and every trucker must be work for them?

4. myminpins

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Swift and Schneider et al are USA companies. Here in Canada, things are different.

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    The biggest threat schneider and swift have to the independants and small companies is that they drive our freight rates down as they are always trying to be cut throat and haul it a bit cheaper. They put much of there coast to coast freight on trains which they can do much cheaper than driving it there so true"long haul" trucking in america is almost non existant except for time sensitive freight which usually you need a team of drivers to run.

6. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    No.

Large companies have a distinct economic advantage over independants when covering 70% of the loads available. This advantage diminishes sharply when they try to be all things to all shippers. It totally evaporates during economic downturns (opinion).

7. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    Just how are they different? Swift, Schneider, JB, etc. all have Canadian & Mexican companies..... What do you Canadian drivers do that is so different...other than come down here and run our freight. That is different...because we only come up there when we are bringing you something....We don't come up there and run all over your country, taking loads away from your drivers....

Oh, and by the way I did reply to Sam about a truck...or should I say about a motor. And I wouldn't expect you to understand why anybody would get a little miffed every now and then because people are trying to come into your country and take jobs away from your friends and loved ones....We don't hear much about the millions that have flooded the job market in Canada....because you guys just move down here..... And I also wouldn't expect you to understand why we get riled up when we get close to Elections....you see....we haven't been Socialized, as Canada has. But there are those that want to.....Hopefully they will fail....just as Canada's health care system has.

Remember, Sam....If things go bad this election....and they do Socialize medicine in this country....YOU will be paying for all those that don't want to work to go to the doctor for free. What a great idea. I have changed my mind....Welcome...come on over....one more working stiff to help pay for Socialized Medicine. Oops...never mind....you won't have to pay taxes....Almost forgot. Signed....the ###### Republican....:biggrin_25523:

8. myminpins

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    We don't have such HUGE sleezy companies up here.

We do not go down there and run your freight. That is illegal. Every company around here I've heard of NEVER runs YOUR freight. We take a Canadian load down and bring a Canadian load back up.

We don't do that. Don't know where you get your information but you are very, very wrong. We have lots of freight up here. Why would we want to go down there?

You couldn't pay me anything to move down there. I love it up here. I know a LOT more Americans who have moved to Canada than vice-versa.

You are completely misinformed. Canada is not socialized.

No one goes bankrupt up here because they get sick. Our system works just fine, thank you.

Here are some actual facts about Canada's health system vs. the United States' system:

Sam, you'll finding living in Canada is much cheaper than living in the United States and right now we have too much work and not enough truckers. In the United States, they have too many truckers and not enough work. :biggrin_25519:

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Actually Steve is NOT "very very wrong". Just because you guys didn't do it does not mean it does not happen.

I've seen it happen with my own eyes. While loading I casually would ask a Canadian driver where he was headed. And he would give me a destination INSIDE the US. Yeah its illegal but goes on all the time.

10. myminpins

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Well, that's your opinion. I didn't say I didn't do it, I said I'd not heard of it because I've asked many, many truck drivers and NONE of them do it here. NONE of the companies do, either, as it is illegal.

So, no, it's NOT done all the time. It's more an exception than the rule.

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    It IS NOT merely an opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen it happen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.