New Trucks

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by istumped, Sep 24, 2021.

1. istumped

istumped Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015

I'm kinda in the same boat here ordering a new one. Have they gave you any lead time on it? 3-4 months?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Im looking at a big bunk
    Was told 1 year

4. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I’m all about new trucks - old trucks are just plain ugly on the inside.

It comes down to the driver and training them right.

Aka, no idling or high idle when needed to idle.

5. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa

You're messing with us right?!? Not a single part I can't still get for my 01. Body, engine or whatever all still available through peterbilt.

Way easier to work on. Way less to go wrong, no parts on back order and I can fix it myself.

6. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    How so? What can a driver be doing to affect the truck and what would you have them do differently?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Excessive idling along with these fleets that change oil every 50k or higher. Thats why they trade an every 3 years , so they dont have to deal with the headaches that come from long term abuse... There is million mile emissions engines out there. Most likely all run by owner ops who work on their own ####

8. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Same reply as d.tibbit mentioned

I also limit idle time and add and maybe maintain my truck better than the guy dragging his trailer through the ditches

Not all company or other drivers are clueless but my guess is that the majority of them are

jason6541 Thanks this.
  9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'm speaking more on a fleet basis, I don't see many older trucks in fleets. Older trucks are for companies hanging on by a thread, and have to put up with older trucks. I too had older trucks for the same reasons you mentioned, but that was 20 years ago, and I simply couldn't afford a new truck and put up with the repairs. While you may enjoy the parts availability now, just a few posts back, someone mentioned how driveshafts are in short supply. Tip of the iceberg, my friend, and if you think any different, you are in for a big surprise. I say the future for replacement parts looks mighty grim. These companies need to sell new trucks to stay afloat, not replacement parts for old ones.

10. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I have 2 trucks one is 40 yrs old the other is 36 yrs old .. I can still get any part I need for either of them in fact there are 2 companies that specialize in parts for the trucks I have
    I just had a drive shaft built .. I asked if parts were hard to get he said not that was aware of.. new or old trucks last I knew they all have drive shafts..
    Personally.. I will keep bust'n my knuckles and cussing while I work on my trucks vs. Making payments and wondering what the repair& tow bill is gonna be when a sensor fails .. JMO

11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    the newer trucks have to be operated a bit differently. Absolutely keep idling to a minimum.

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.