Newb w/Experienced Fiance (want him to train me)

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by AshRae84, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AshRae84

AshRae84 Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Hulbert, OK
    Ok, as much as I want to make this short, and sweet, I just don't see that happening, so here goes...

I met my fiance last year, and came on the road with him in February. He currently works for US Xpress (has been with them since February.) After much persistance he convinced me to go to school for Truck Driving. Before I even began school we called a minimum of half a dozen times and asked 'If I went to school, would he be able to train me?' We were told time and time again this would be "No Problem," he could get a 'one time pass' to train me, and only me. Fine by us, we're running team, he has no need to train anyone else...

I graduated June 20th, so we put the ball in motion, get me scheduled for orientation. They then say they're going to put him through the process for training eligibility, the DAY I went to start orientation we get told he was denied by Safety. (He had previously been late on mailing in his logs, and a terminal took them and faxed copies in for him, no one told him that wasn't sufficient, that he also needed to mail in the hard copies, so he got written up for not turning in logs.)

He mailed the logs in, safety audited them, said they only found one mistake, all was good, but since he'd had the write up, he had to wait 2 months.

So we decide to wait, and he watches his butt for 2 months, thinking no problem, I'll just start in August. Well 2 months came, we call to have him put back through the process, NOW we get a call saying Safety denied him AGAIN because his logs don't match his Satcomm, ok if this was a problem WHY did they not catch this on any previous audits of his logs? (Not to mention 80% of the time the Satcomm doesn't work anyway...)

I never desired to go into trucking before I met him, it never crossed my mind, and I was only doing it to run team with him, under the assumption HE would train me. I do NOT feel comfortable on the road with a complete stranger...

He has had 3 tickets in the past 3 years, and his job history over the last year isn't the greatest... (Which is kind of the bad part.) He has trained before at CRST, and ONLY wants to train me, no one else.

We've had a few companies say they'd hire him, and he could train me, but how do we know it's not going to be the same situation it was here, not to mention he doesn't want to mess up his job history anymore by jumping to another place... But at the same time, I don't want to be stuck with a Certificate of Completion, and CDL for NO reason...

Does anyone have any suggestions about companies, or what we can do here? I would greatly appreciate any help we could get... Right now, I just feel so incredibly worthless, like I've just wasted my time, not to mention betrayed by USX.

~*Ash*~

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    Have him speak to the safety director at his home terminal. Explain the situation and inform them that if they will not allow him to train you then he will have to move on to another company that will. Just make sure he has another company already lined up just in case they still deny him. Of course the new company may want him to finish a 90 day probationary period and prove he can drive the truck safely as well as comply with all the company regulations before they allow him to train you so you may wind up being trained in the winter time.

The alternative is to request a female trainer and get it over with. The vast majority of us out here were "trained by complete strangers." We all learned and you can too if you put your mind to it. Most training programs are only 4 to 6 weeks long anyway. You could have already been trained and paired up with him by now had you accepted a "stranger" to train you.

The other thing you should be aware of is if you spend too much time on the sidelines a company may want you to take a refresher course before they will hire you.

4. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    I thought the same thing I did not want to share a truck with a stranger but I got paired up with a laid back guy we had no problems.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.