Newbie at Crete

Discussion in 'Crete' started by bowlwinkle, Sep 2, 2008.

1. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    Arrived in Council Bluffs terminal to start my career at Crete. I just graduated from an approved school, and will be with a trainer for 8 weeks after my drug test comes back. Spending a couple days in a hotel waiting for it. I will try to keep everyone posted as it goes whenever I can.:biggrin_25525:

truckdriver402 and Big Duker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bowlwinkle

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    :biggrin_25525:Going to be getting with my trainer late tommorrow morning. Talked to him this evening. Will be headed to Wyoming.
    I talked to several drivers at the terminal today, one had done the 8-week training like I am about to do. He said the time will go quickly, and that the Crete training was really good. He said that when you are done you would be comfortable in most any situation.
    I'll let you know more whenever I can.

4. honor roll

honor roll Road Train Member

Mar 7, 2008
    NW OHIO
    Good Luck Be Safe and keep us posted

5. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    what he said... and good luck.

6. TruckerJerry

TruckerJerry Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Greensboro Nc
    crete is ok but i work for shaffer and shaffer is a part or crete to me i think that shaffer is best more mile more loads more money i trun in about 2900 to 3400 ever week that i am out so if the crete side for the compeny dont work for you come to shaffer

7. TruckerJerry

TruckerJerry Light Load Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Greensboro Nc
    one more thing shaffer pays more then crete

8. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    LOL! We had one guy in orientation who was coming onto Shaffer from running flatbeds - he was the only Shaffer recruit in class and by the time he heard all our stories (many of us had been with Sunflower/Shaffer previously) about reefer work, he was calling his manager to see if it was too late to join Crete!

9. bowlwinkle

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    sorry about being gone for so long, finishing my 4th week of training. 4 more to go. Going really well, have spent a lot of time out west, so have had a lot of practice in the mountains. None with snow yet, so I'll hopefully get one before my training is done. Trainer is awesome, very knowledgeable and fun to be with too. He's getting home time this weekend, so I'll get a few days in a hotel. Hopefully I will get a few home days on our next runs. I'll try to be better about getting on here. TTYL

386lover Thanks this.
  10. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Am glad to hear things are going well for you. Have a couple questions maybe you or others could answer. I am sending in a Crete App. tonight, after speaking twice with recruiting. Want to know if I am being BS'd...
    1) am told training pay weekly is $600... never heard of ANY conmpany offering that much;
    2) told time out with trainer would most likely be 2 - 3 weeks, because I drove OTR 2 months 4 years ago... again, that seems unrealistic to me.
    Sounds to me like I am being bs'd... Yes? No?

11. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    can't speak to the training pay, but orientation is $140 for 2 days or $70/day. That would equal $490/wk so $600 sounds reasonable to me. Even at 38cpm, if you get their projected 2400 miles a week when you go solo, you would be bringing in about $900 gross, so again, $600 sounds on par with stepping into the job f/t.
    With experience i think you are supposed to get 4-6 weeks with a trainer but the recruiter may have simply been giving you the truthful (but not official) scenario, that if a trainer rates you as highly qualified in the first couple of weeks, they often can cut you loose early. You might requestion them and make clear that your OTR experience was not extensive - hell, we have to go thru rehire including re- road testing if we take more than a 30 day break from the company, LOL! I think the cutoff for not needing a trainer is if you have 3 years experience and it has been less than one year since your last driving job.

You're not being bs'd, but unless that recruiter puts it in writing, you are being painted a rosy picture. Their turnover is increasing and sooner or later they are going to have to start treating new hires like gold - good luck and have fun!bb. formerly (10 yrs)with Crete/Shaffer.

Baack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.