Newbie behind the wheel of a tractor trailer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mr. EastCoast, Sep 2, 2020.

1. tallguy66

tallguy66 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Easy on the clutch and swing wide

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    When you get your first job, don't irritate the mechanics. Or the dispatcher. Or the payroll person.

Edit...okay, you can irritate the dispatcher a little bit , just don't get carried away.

4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    When changing lanes, look in each mirror. Then look again.
    Slow and Steady.

5. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Use as much room as possible in turns.

6. Trujo11

Trujo11 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Smith System? Whats is that?

7. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Did you even attempt to use Google?

8. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    magoo68 Thanks this.
  9. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Going forward will become easy.while you’re with a trainer make sure you learn to back and setup your trailer. As a new driver it’ll be easy to rush thinking everybody sees you and wants you to hurry up. It’s important to learn to block out what others are thinking, calm down and take your time no matter how long it takes you

Mr. EastCoast and 650cat425 Thank this.
  10. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Well? I am curious to hear about the first day...

650cat425 Thanks this.
  11. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    As others have stated, don't tailgate. What they are telling you will happen to you..... suddenly everyone ahead of you is slamming on the brakes. It will send shivers down your spine, if.... you get stopped in time. If not, you will have many other things to contend with... The following distance is in the DOT manual.... yes that thing, and it is possible most of the time despite what others will say in today's traffic. If someone gets in your zone, back peddle and retrieve your assured distance. You will thank these drivers on here soon enough.

Slow down. You will be in the same truck stop that night with most of the drivers that passed you that morning, stress free and sleeping like a baby. Takes years to figure that out. Some never do. Smooth and steady. Hare and the turtle.

Be kind to everyone out there. It may be your neighbor or a relative. Or your boss. Don't ask me how I know. At least I was only driving about 60 when it happened... twice. My dispatcher and a plant manager. Both were with family on vacation. Hey, one stopped and bought me breakfast, even though the company paid for all our meals.

Take time to enjoy the moment. The next one will get here far to quickly. One day you are too young, then a newbie and next, checking into the nursing home.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.