Newbie.... blah blah blah....yadda yadda yadda

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WesternPlains, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Added truck and driver. Yes I'm keeping Casper. New truck is his truck.

Right now he's in Casper, cause putting a truck on with Landstar is the most amazing amount of BS you could ever imagine.

His truck will probably be permitted to day, but I have to get an e log in it still.

So, he's taking Casper for about a 2 week tour, he's picking up today. Let him make some money. It rolls in pretty fast.

And that's his truck. I won't drive it. That's not how Dave rolls.

You and kitty are always welcome.

Lepton1 and WesternPlains Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Sounds very interesting.

I’m concluding there is a whole lotta BS out here. When the shipper or receiver makes a mistake. They try to blame you. Might as well get to making the real money.
    I mentioned before. Seems they’re trying to keep me busy now? I think that came down from upper management. They like me here.
    I got time here to think.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Gotta admit... I’m really loving this 34.
    I’m taking it because I have to. Not because some administrator thinks I should be a ministry. Waste time waiting around for them.
    This is someplace I’ve never stopped before. Really nice being someplace different.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Found out. While I was doing these two runs. Out of Denver and Iowa to Dallas.
    My home mill had a run they didn’t put on the schedule. Customer called screaming.
    I just know that Mill Manager is trying to blame it all on me. I’m supposed to sit there, 24 hours a day. At her beck and call. A ministry to her administrative failures.
    :laughing-guffaw:
    Sorry... I’m busy.... :hello2:

Lepton1, kemosabi49 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  6. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Been sitting here. Watching guys back in. So many turn too much. Then have to correct it. Reminds me of myself. :)

Guy just pulled in with a livestock trailer. It’s only one level. Tall enough for horses. He’s with a Ranch. Said uses it for everything. And Yup.... the dents in the side are from horses kicking. Hurts just looking at those dents.

Had a Classic Pete pull in today. All off white. Even the fuel tanks. Had to be the classiest looking Pete I’ve seen.

Lepton1 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  7. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Sitting in western Co. off I70 right now. Deliver in the morning.
    Boss has been running me hard. Making money. If everything gets into this check from Sat.. Gonna be an interesting check. Last three days of driving. I put in over 1700 miles. Payed as mileage. Did drop and hook. Then bobtailed back to home Mill to pick this up next morning.

Lepton1 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Just had a hell of a day.
    Finally getting my axle fixed on my truck. Went to use the spare KW. Brakes locked into place. Had to get a service call just to get the truck to move. Peoplenet froze up. Tried with safety on it. Nothing would work. I’m on paper logs until my truck gets fixed. Hated moving all my stuff. Took a while. Then night came. Had a short 200 mile run to do.
    No dashboard lights. Haven’t fixed that yet.
    No trailer lights. Two fuses in truck for trailer lights. One missing. Other 1/2 what it should be. Had to go buy fuses. Turn in receipt.
    By then so late. I decided to drive down. Sleep later.
    We have a difficult driveway at the mill. Been told I’ll break clamps on the bottom pipe. I never did. Till now. Broke two clamps. Lost a pipe. Fixed it. Then went over railroad tracks and damaged one. Got to customer. Another came apart that was damaged. Thank god I had enough clamps in the borrowed truck.
    Then talking to boss. Told me to check air bags on trailer. They weren’t inflated. I missed that. Absolutely no excuse for missing that. My incompetence. Trailer is now at shop being fixed. Also found out from boss. When I drive this truck out the driveway. I need to run over the curb. Not just go next to it. Need that to not hit pipe on bottom of trailer with this truck.
    I ended up with very little sleep. Just got done sleeping long. Still feel like a zombie.
    My load going out today. It pushed back to Monday. I’m kinda glad. I need more rest.
    At least boss is pushing hard enough. Aiming at $2k week income. Problems, or pushed back loads. I’m landing at $1.5k weeks. I’m finally earning what I was originally promised.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Dave_in_AZ, SingingWolf and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I mentioned this check should be interesting. Well... my 1,700 miles didn’t get on it. Turned them in on Saturday. It should be there. Most of the time. Stuff I turn in on Saturday doesn’t get on that week. Get it following week. I’m not going to go making a PIA out of myself by complaining. This company treats me good. Everybody is very busy. I imagine the people in payroll are also. That’s why my Saturday turn ins get pushed back. Again... I’m not going to complain.
    Otherwise....
    This check came in $1,603 gross. Minus 1700 miles. Would have been interesting to see what it might have been?

10. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    My GPS decided to change the road names in Arkansas to; “Sharp Curve”. :)

Dave_in_AZ, SingingWolf and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Guess who’s eating dinner at Lisa’s? :cool:

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.