Newbie.... blah blah blah....yadda yadda yadda

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WesternPlains, Jul 17, 2018.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    LOL...It's too late in the year now but next Spring we'll invite you up to our place for the Annual Spring Panic. That's when everybody...loggers, farmers, mountain road contractors, decide it's time to go to work. And I think they all decide at the same time because suddenly everybody wants everything done now.
    I think they all get together one night over beers and say to each other..."First thing tomorrow morning we'll call Terry and start ordering trucks...lots of trucks."
    Mud? All you want. All kinds of mud. Clay mud, decomposed granite mud, loam mud, soapstone mud, mud mixed with snow, mud mixed with ice, and mud full of gravel. Mud that builds up between your duals, mud that builds up under your front fenders, mud that builds up on the soles of your boots, and mud that cakes into the quick-hooks on your tire chains to where you have to beat on them with a winch bar to get them to release.
    There's mud that's deep enough to drag your rear ends through, there's mud that you sink into up to your knees and theres mud that is only a snot layer on top of the frozen ground.
    You can get towed by a Cat or a skidder.. You can get pushed. Sometimes you can get both at the same time.
    We keep special heavy cross-bar tire chains for the trucks that stay in the mud all day. They're all singles because a three-railer would be too heavy for one guy to lift. If you're lucky you'll only have to put them on two or three times a day.
    C'mon on up. We'll help you with your mud addiction withdrawal symptoms. ;)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I got a woodie.

WesternPlains, SingingWolf and REO6205 Thank this.
  4. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    If you run into one of those again, try putting it in Manual and Reverse. Helped a little on a bucking mule that I had to deal with.

SingingWolf, Lepton1 and WesternPlains Thank this.
  5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm home again. First time in 3 1/2 months. Nice being here. Don't show up to new job for 12 days.
    I really pushed it too much yesterday. Started at 4am. Delivered. Went to main terminal. Picked up rental. Loaded it. Then tried to drive home. Forget when it was I couldn't take more. Slept in the back seat. Woke up at 4:30. 3 hours to get home. Couldn't make it. Stopped 35 miles from my house. Slept more. .... now I need sleep. Need to unload the P/U and get it to the rental company. At least they're closed. Doesn't matter the time. Just deliver it. Drop keys in box.

SingingWolf, Lepton1 and dwells40 Thank this.
  6. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm looking forward to getting muddy. Any suggestions on steel toe boots? Recruiter told me composite toes should be ok? Steel gets too cold.
    I'm seriously looking for flat as can be. Little or no heel. Got an expensive pair of Irish Setters. They're good enough on the heel. Good boots. But not steel toe.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    Can't believe all the stuff I had in that truck. Geesh!
    No wonder my steers had a problem running heavy. :laughing-guffaw:

Nice driving my car with it's engine brake.
    Disappointed when I reached down to raise the seat and.... no lever there.... Doh!

8. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    This is rather strange. Been OTR for 3 1/2 months. Now home for 4 days. Need to be at new job in a week from now. I'm getting used to it. Been spending money. Floundering. Actually need to buckle down on my health and exercise. Been getting used to moving so much last four days. Do something. Then rest. Then do something. Move around.
    The other day when buying my boots. They had these Duster Riding Coats in there. I've always liked those. They look like a seriously good nasty weather coat. I like that they have straps to strap them to your legs. Not like a trench coat. They won't blow away from your legs in the wind. These looked super nice. The oil skin is soft. Much more refined than Filson's oil skin. They have leather collars, and elbow pads. So dummy me decided to try one on. Oh my gawdy! It was sooo comfy! Wonderful coat. I fell in love with it. So I bought it. This is strictly for off work time. Wyo. has some nasty weather. A whole bunch of it. This is what I bought in the store...
    Long Australian Riding Coat, Waterproof Oilcloth Duster Kakadu 3 in 1 Converts to 3/4 Coat

Lepton1 and SingingWolf Thank this.
  9. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Good coat. If I had the money I'd get one. Definitely a go-to for ranching.

Lepton1 and WesternPlains Thank this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That coat will do you no good until you throw a little ####, mud, and oil on it. Otherwise you just afraid and dainty.

11. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    If I get XXXX, mud, and oil on it when not working. So be it. Otherwise I is afraid and dainty.

SingingWolf, T.Rucker and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.