Newbie - Do I need a GPS, or are maps fine?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jds8710, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cdub304

cdub304 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Rockford,IL
    IMO. A gps is useful tool if used respectively. Once you get a little money I think you should buy one. It will come in handy in the future. Go to the Rand Mcnally site and buy a refirbed one for a better deal. You get the same year warranty as the one I bought out the t/s for a 100 dollars less. Side note. Look @ the idiot box i mean qualcom, call shipper/consignee. check map. use gps along with common sense and your trip will be a lot easier.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

there are tons of threads on here about accidents that were caused by a driver following a GPS and fully trusting it....we dont own one...i believe in the ol fashioned way...a map ....remember even if your company gives you routing on your truck computer (qualcomm etc) ALWAYS double check the routing with your map, for restricted routes, low clearances etc....

jds8710 Thanks this.
  4. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior rocking-n-rollin again

Dec 6, 2011
    South West
    exactly...good post G&Cb....

5. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior rocking-n-rollin again

Dec 6, 2011
    South West
    but do like i do ..i just hire Mayhem as my GPS... RECALCULATING..:biggrin_2556::biggrin_2556:

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Your GPS mapping on your phone will often be flakey when your in a bad data area that is not well supported by your particular cellular carrier. Like was said, they're good to have as a "verification reference" and an occasional aid. Don't spend too much money for one. Do buy a trucker version. NEVER rely on it's instructions as going to keep you out of trouble.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  7. sharp.dressed.man

sharp.dressed.man Heavy Load Member

Dec 10, 2011
    IL
    As long as you keep in mind that the "G" in GPS doesn't stand for God and therefore it is fallible you should be fine.

"Hmm the GPS says that I should drive through this lake so it must be obeyed"

Course if a person is stupid enough to do that there ain't a map in the world that's gonna help them.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Also, A GPS is handy to have in the many instances where you're supposed to turn left on Church street, but when you're nearing Church street, you find every third street is missing a street name sign. And they're also pretty handy when fog has visibility down to 2/10 of a mile and it's difficult to visually see upcoming street junctions/signs.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You don't need a GPS. You can get one later. Here's a compromise, get a car GPS. The most useful part of a GPS would be being able to see street names before you drive past them. Also the feature that shows which lane to be in to get onto an interstate are nice. New and used car GPS can be had for under $100, maybe less than $50.

I've been researching GPSs and the complaints I see suggest improper reliance on them to make decisions. It's not a brain substitute, it's a navigation aid. Too many drivers expect to punch in a destination and then turn over thinking to the dumb box. That way lies trouble.

Get a Rand McNally paper atlas, learn to read the front section that shows truck restrictions and you'll be fine. I recommend the paper atlas because it's cheap ($10) and you are less likely to hold onto it for too long as it's data becomes out of date. It's also thinner and that means it's easier to keep it at hand. Paper Atlas are better than GPS in you can't help but see your route in context. With GPS you can get so zoomed in on parts you miss problems or substitute routes that would be obvious on a paper atlas.

Your money would be better spent on an electric cooler than a GPS at the very start because having the option to eat/drink at your convenience will help every day.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  10. jds8710

jds8710 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2012
    marina, ca
    The tractor won't swim:biggrin_255: and here I thought they had full floating rear ends. Lol

11. jds8710

jds8710 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2012
    marina, ca
    Thank you all for your wisdom. I will hold off on the gps

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.