Newbie - Do I need a GPS, or are maps fine?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jds8710, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I use a garmin unit designed for truck use. I wouldn't want to drive without it. Obviously I do not believe in doing things the old fashioned way. I believe in using tools responsibly to make my day easier. GPS does that for me in spades. Worth every penny. Wouldn't drive without it.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MileHiBud

MileHiBud Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Castle Rock, CO
    Do get a GPS but DO NOT DEPEND ON IT!!! If I had to choose between my GPS and the maps you can find on Google and Bing I would choose the maps anyday. Get wireless internet and study the route before you get there. Being able to see an overhead picture or a streetside view of the place you are going to has saved me a lot of time and anguish. Sometimes your GPS will not route you the easiest way for a big truck. Many times it is right on though and it is nice to be able to pay attention to your driving without having to look at a map or notes. ALWAYS double check the GPS route against a map!!

jds8710 Thanks this.
  4. 1988pete379

1988pete379 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North East TX
    Got to watch them GPS they can lead you astray

jds8710 Thanks this.
  5. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    I use maps, GPS, my pc (streets & Trips), and google maps/android.

Each have a benefit. A map is great, but with a laptop, or android phone you cam visualize where you're going. For example, I had to make a delivery on the boarder of Brooklyn, and Queens today. I had my trip planned, getting ready to leave, and had a feeling that I better reexamine my game plan. I got on to Google Maps, used the satelite view/street view and saw my entire route from the ground level. Come to find out, one of the roads I needed to be on was off of Flushings, but due to a light poll, and it being a sharp right turn, I would have never of made the turn. I adjusted my plans, and made it out of NYC alive.

I would stress to any new driver to use every resource possible. Just don't become too reliant on one, or you'll find yourself in trouble. Maps, PC's, and GPS can save you from encountering a lot of problems ahead of time. Embrace technology, it's your friend.

After reading more of the thread, let me add a few things. A GPS doesn't cause wrecks. The person holding the wheel, that was being careless caused the wreck. Having a GPS, or using a GPS doesn't make you any less of a driver. Anyone who is going to a different shipper/cosignee everyday, can greatly benefit from a GPS, if used with common sense. The whole GPS vs map debate is no different than someone telling me they'd rather use a pay phone, over a cell phone.

Maps have as much benefit as GPS's have. GPS's have as much benefit as maps have.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    jds8710 Thanks this.
  6. IraqVetTX

IraqVetTX Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Can't remember Wisconsin
    I have always used a map. Call the shipper or consignee and 99% of the time they give directions into their facility. I have called a bunch who a phone menu option is "press 1 for dicrections into our facility". Learn to read a map and don't rely on a GPS. I have used my phone GPS 2-3 times when the road did not have a sign, only to verify that it was the correct road.

Knowing and using maps will out last any technology. You map will not die, give bad directions and YOU choose the best route. You will not regret learning maps.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  7. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    One of the most valuable skills you can learn is trip planning using a map.
    Arrival times estimated using approx 50 MPH drive time plus any breaks will be closer than any GPS could hope to be by figuring it using the speed limits.
    A phone call to the shipper or receiver will confirm arrival times and secure directions.

Street signs can be seen with a good flashlight or spotlight if the truck has one. If you are worried about passing it slow down...

Map reading and communication are becoming a lost art in the industry, and are probably the first two things any new driver should get good at.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  8. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    During training, calling the shipper/receiver was never taught. I've noticed that the majority of shippers/receivers don't have their phone info on the load assignment. It seems that they don't want to be bothered. I've had to get creative a few times and go online to get a number, then when I call, they want to know how I got the number.

I think for most company drivers, or at least my company, I'm supposed to call my DM if it has anything to do with scheduled drop/load times. Plus, my company has local customer directions for each customer, so it takes the need to call away. The only time I do call is to see if I can drop/pu early.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  9. MS Lady Trucker

MS Lady Trucker Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Kosciusko, MS
    One of my trainers used a gps, I never did like it, give me a good large rand mcnally any day and if the directions i get from the company dont seem right, I simply call and verify directions with the customer.

Red Hot Mess and jds8710 Thank this.
  10. jds8710

jds8710 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2012
    marina, ca
    I myself love technology so I think I will start of with a good atlas and my android then work the GPS into the equation once my finances become stable.

11. jds8710

jds8710 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2012
    marina, ca
    Has anyone been through the swift terminal in lathrop, CA?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.