Newbie - Do I need a GPS, or are maps fine?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jds8710, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ship71021

ship71021 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Louisiana
    This is a very good thread. Everyone has valid points. Learn the old way to prepare you better for the new way. I'm old school in a sense with new school flavor.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    See my sig. Note the sarcasm it contains.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  4. Rooster13

Rooster13 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2012
    East Hartford
    jds8710 Thanks this.
  5. Rooster13

Rooster13 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2012
    East Hartford
    How many drivers got into accidents while trying to read a map?

Red Hot Mess and jds8710 Thank this.
  6. nckid

nckid Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2008
    williamsburg,va
    I've been with swift for bout 6 months now and I get the shipper and receiver directions and write them down on paper(because you never know when the qcomm wil take a crap and guess how I know)and those directions haven't failed me yet except for when there was a street closed and I had to find another way.i have the newer qcomm and it helps but I always compare it to the company directions.just get a laminated map and you'll be ok.save your money and spend it on stuff to help you thru those 10 hour and 34 breaks.Always check your atlas for the routes you take for low clearances because sometimes there will be issues like 13.9 clearence and 6in of snow like I had-woke the pigeons and cleaned the top of the trailer off but made it thru after looking before going under and the company routed me that way.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    jds8710 Thanks this.
  7. capfiremedic

capfiremedic Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Bay St. Louis, MS
    Sometimes those shipper directions are lousy as well. I've had shippers try to run me under 13 foot overpasses before. Not good with a 13'6" trailer...

Whoever, or wherever you get directions, bounce them by the Atlas... It might be an extra step, but it can save a bunch of trouble.

jds8710 Thanks this.
  8. Lady_Medusa_03

Lady_Medusa_03 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Forest City Pa
    many new drivers make the mistake of trusting their gps to keep them straight, and let me tell you I don't think d.o.t is going to accept rand McNally said this street was truck friendly, my gps has tried to put me down streets i'm not supposed to be on and this is the one on the q-comm nvm one I would buy from the store, I use a laminated atlas and try to use my gps only when I get close to shipper or consignee. I don't trust that crap as far as I can throw it, and 9 times out of ten I can find a better route, I do compare my route with what company sends and what gps says. but I do not under any circumstances rely totally on my gps it can and will sometimes get you into more trouble than choosing ur own route.

9. Lady_Medusa_03

Lady_Medusa_03 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Forest City Pa
    wow drivers can depend way too much on an electronic component.....we are slowly loosing the art of truck driving and navigating, very scare thought, I would love to see what some of these drivers would have done before we had gps let alone a trucker gps.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.