Newbie Here

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TerminatorTransport, Mar 8, 2007.

1. TerminatorTransport

TerminatorTransport Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Hi guys and gals. Just joined the forums like a minute ago. I am looking at taking on trucking as my next career. Currently I am in the Navy on submarines, so the long hours and days being away from home of trucking wouldn't even phase me. I plan on using my re-enlistment bonus of 32K to buy my first truck and start out as an O/O. Is that a good move? The truck I have in mind is a Kenworth T2000 With the Detroit 12.7L 500Hp engine matched to a merritor 12-speed automatic. What do you guys think of this type of truck? My dad who is a trucker prefers Volvos but he says the KW's are nice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    First, THANK YOU for your service to our country, second WELCOME to the forum!

WOW you have some big plans, and I know our members once they get the chance will have some good advice for you BUT as a drivers wife I would suggest that you get your CDL, and get to know the industry BEFORE you try to become an O/O.....this business can be tricky and you really need OTR experience and to know the ins/outs before you put all your money into it.......jmo

GOOD LUCK and enjoy the board

4. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the forum, Terminator! I'm not a trucker, so what I know is pretty much what I've learned from friends who are drivers and folks here on the boards. But what luvmyhubby said is pretty much the consensus -- that prior to becoming an O/O, you should probably get a year or two experience to just get first-hand knowledge of the industry... and use that time to set up your game plan for your own business based on what you learn while you are working.

One of my dearest friends drives a Volvo... automatic... but the Kenworth T2000's are his favorites, too! :biggrin:

Good luck, Terminator! We look forward to getting to know you here on the boards. And thanks for serving in the Navy. Our military folks are important to us here! :thumbright:

5. Outsider

Outsider Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2006
    NC
    DO NOT buy a truck as your first gig.
    You know less than nothing about driving a truck, let alone how to run a trucking biz.
    As an O/O you are a business owner first and a driver second.
    How can you run a business you know nothing about? Trucking is nothing but customer service. You are not a producer of a product, you have nothing any other trucking company does not have.
    Do you know what your cost will be daily? Weekly? monthly?
    If you plan on going under your own authority, who will insure you? No one.
    If you want to be successful, what decent company will lease you on with NO experience? very few!

Minimum of 3 years behind the wheel, ideally 5.
    I would recomend working for an O/O or small fleet owner. keep a track of all expenses that the truck incurs. Downtime, mechanical, Ins, etc.

Everyone thinks they can come out here and make a go of it, it is not regulated like it was a long time ago. The rates are, at best, low.
    What type of freight will you haul? Toilet paper? Food? tires? LOL. Good luck with that! Swift, JB, England, and the rest of the "cheap freight haulers" have that tied up. Oh, you want to do platform work, RGN, Step, double drop, flat... riiiigggght! Good luck with that too. (yes, that is what I have done for the last 12-13 years).
    I hauled produce my first 3 years OTR (90-93), we used to get 4500- 5500 bux coming out of Shakey to the East, know what it pays today (on the avg.)??? The same, LOL, 13 years of inflation and still pays the same. We had .75 cent a gallon fuel then too.

My best and most honest advice, like I said above, learn to drive first!
    Good luck and make sure you learn the "Code of ethics" of being a truck driver, or be a steering wheel holder and be like most out here.

6. peterbilt379

peterbilt379 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Montreal, Quebec
    Sounds like a great truck just one problem you should get a manual transmition then a automatic cause the auto downshift's by them selfs in the winter but if you are planning on sticking with the southern states that perfect then

Take Care and good luck

7. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    My advice is this and its only advice so dont sue me.
    This is the way we ran our business.
    1 Find out the cost of the truck and trailer.
    2 Divide it by 4 years.
    3 Fuel is at least $2.50/ gal now. Figure at least @ 30 more.
    4 Figure oil, grease, tires all around 100,000 mi. plus a spare and 2 steering tires xtra just in case, wash once a week @75-100, wax, polish, a auxilllary unit & maintenence Interest on 2 credit card with up to $20,000 on them for fuel etc. Tolls, the list goes on and on. You can deduct anything you use , pants shirts shoes and meals any day you are over a certain distance from the house.
    5 Insurance will be around $1500.00 or more /mo.
    6 Write the truck and trlr off in four year s and buy another, before the warranty runs out
    7 get a Cat w/3 speed overdrive. better warranty Run, run run!!! :biggrin_25514:

8. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    That was get a CAT 500 w/13 speed Rockwell, Eaton 3.70 w/ 40000 lb rating (46000) max Get it set on 2100 RPM and it will do 91 MPH, will lope at 75 and I figure it this way. You can run 55 mph, go 100,000 a year and it will take a lot more that 2000 hrs of driving. Go at least 5 mph over the limit and never get a ticket, run 80mph out west, get a run at those hills and run 130000 miles a year. You make another $30,000.00 gross and it cost you about $15000. more for fuel. We did it, Lets see, $15000 almost makes it profitable.:biggrin_2554:

9. yevgeniyv.1980

yevgeniyv.1980 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Poconos,PA
    Good to have You here!!!:biggrin_25520:

10. MickeyFIN

MickeyFIN Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Turku, Finland
    Invest that money otherwise (like stocks or something that you cant spend away)...listen to your dad.... and work first for someone else.
    just my 2c.

11. Martin97

Martin97 Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2007
    NE, Oregon
    I'd say re-up with the Navy if possible.. otherwise run with the old man to learn the ropes... learn to drive a manual and leave the auto's for the company drivers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.