~Newbie Needing Advice on Companies~

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by v3n0m, Oct 24, 2011.

1. v3n0m

v3n0m Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mt. Olive, NC
    Hi guys & gals. I'm just about to finish up driving school and I'm wondering if maybe you guys could point me in the right direction as to which companies may give me a shot. I'm 24 years old, 2 speeding tickets since 16 ( none in the past 4 years), no accidents. No dui's or felonies but I did get a misdemeanor drug paraphernalia charge when I was 15...I was young and stupid folks, hanging out witht he wrong croud, most of us have been there, I just happen to have got caught lol. An Epes recruiter came out to my school and spoke with us and they seemed like a good company to start with so I put in an app with them. They called me yesterday saying everything looked great but they wanted to ask me about the misdemeanor. I explained it to them, and they said because its considered a drug related offense they could not hire me.

That kindof got me thinking, if they will hire students straight out of driving school, their standards cant be all that high...if they wouldnt take me, who will? If you have any advice on a decent company that would take me please share it, I've put alot of time and work into this and I really think I'll enjoy it. I have a wife and 2 little ones and havent touched so much as a cigarette since about 9th-10th grade, I hope this one little thing from when I was a kid doesnt screw me up. Thanks a lot!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Somebody will hire you. Make yourself a list of your wants and needs and start researching different companies. Once you have narrowed it down to a couple dozen start calling recruiters and getting more details.

I would be more concerned about leaving my wife and family. Props to you. I couldn't do it. Been down that road before and I couldn't stand seeing them a handful of times a year.

4. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    At 15yrs. old, I think that charge can get removed off your record

5. v3n0m

v3n0m Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mt. Olive, NC
    Not seeing my family is a huge issue for me, thats one of the reasons I was leaning towards Epes...Everyone I've talked to says that youre pretty much guaranteed to be home weekends.

And Slim, thats sortof what I was thinking man since it happened when i was a minor and it was about 10 years ago....Have any idea how I would go about doing that?

6. Joescheppae Q

Joescheppae Q Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Ply Mtg, PA
    Forget all those companies that want to bust your balls and simply have the charge omitted from the record. You are entitled to one "Expungement" in your lifetime in NC and the fee has even been eliminated for most proceedings.

There are some execeptions it seems like if you have already had an expungement, have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony previously, have pending criminal charges, or it is a charge related to a motor vehicle violation.

I'd say go to the court house and fill out the xpungement paperwork and secretly in your mind tell the trucking companies recruiters to "suck it."

I'm no attorney but my boy lives in Moorehead City, NC and just last week got a little something/something expunged.

Good luck

7. Joescheppae Q

Joescheppae Q Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Ply Mtg, PA
    sorry for th double post but I forgot to add, "give me a break sweating
    a misdemeanor drug paraphernalia charge." just for the record, anytime that something happens regarding an incident that could jeorpadize someones driving career call an attorney that specializes in whatever the infraction was. if nothing else always get at least an initial consult to see what the options are. My buddy is a PD in Pitt & there are a lot of changes that can be made to things mostly by negotiating.

8. v3n0m

v3n0m Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mt. Olive, NC
    Thanks for the reply man. It was the only time I've ever been in any trouble at all. I think I'll ride down there this week and see what I can do about that.

9. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Definition of "home on the weekends" : A trucker who drives 7 days a week and comes home on Sunday afternoon for two hours.

10. Seattle206

Seattle206 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You might want to take a peek at the Marcellus Shale Jobs; Not sure where you live at in North Carolina but I did a Google maps search. Durham NC to Harrisburg PA is only 6.3 hrs.

That way you can make some good money and be close to home always. Just an idea I want to throw your way. :biggrin_25520:

11. v3n0m

v3n0m Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mt. Olive, NC
    I'll sure look into it man, thanks a lot!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.