Newbie needs some help A.S.A.P.!!!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dizzles, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Dizzles

Dizzles Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Thanks again everyone for the advice, I made a mistake back in 2008 for not doin this right after school, I understand that. It's now 2011 and I'm ready to make a change for the best now. I found a few companies that meet my needs, I just have to give them a call in the morning. I called Roehl this morn, but the recruiter told me I have to be fresh out of school, but I also saw they do training so im confused on that one. Mabey I'll call again, get a different recruiter that will tell me somethin different, don't really trust these recruiters right now lol. I've called so many companies I'm losing track of who I called, I'm keepin track now by writing it down with a few notes of the company so I don't call twice or ask the same questions over and over again. Pray for me guys lol!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    dizzles, you will hear some on this board saying YOU CAN get a local job, but the real fact of the matter is, you were told by a member, "chompi" that it can be next to impossible at this time. he as a former o/o knows the job situation, as i (as a driver/instructor) know the situation.

when you hear guys saying , "sure, i work at coke, i work at Pepsi, i work at maverick, i work here, i work there"......you gotta remember that jobs TODAY ARE HARD TO COME BY, and NOT too many drivers are quitting daily, as yet someone else posted, which is total hogwash.....

what are your chances, in a realistic light, that YOU WILL BE in the right place at the right time....??

you have better odds at hitting the lottery......

you may have to just "suck it up" and go OTR for a while, to GAIN experience so that YOU CAN GET a more localized job near your home at a later time.

as for Rohel, the recruiter that came to my school also said, you must go to work right away, otherwise, after not working for 60 days, Rohel REQUIRES a student go back to school for the WHOLE COURSE all over again.....

now, they do train students as well i was told, BUT, for this you need to inquire with them. they might mean only those that have NEVER BEEN to a school in the first place......if i could remember what the recruiter said to my students regarding that, i'd tell you here and now.

in the end, for what you want, you'll have to prove yourself, above all others applying for such a job as you want, to be home more often.

the numbers of unemployed drivers right now are still high....and you simply cannot believe that getting the job YOU WANT right away, just isn't going to happen.....

chompi Thanks this.
  4. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    I am in agreement with Chompi and Rerun about the job situation. Go to school and go OTR if you heart is set on truck driving. See if you can get finance from a local community college. I know the following companies have terminals within Georgia:

Central Refrigerated: Conley GA
    Swift: Decatur GA
    US Xpress Enterprises: Tunnel Hill GA
    Schneider National: Atlanta GA
    Werner Enterprises: Atlanta GA

If you heart is set on home time; you picked the wrong profession. Go work for Walmart or another retail chain where you work 40hrs and get home daily. I live in FL and was told i'd have to stay out 4-5 weeks before getting home. I know this is not what you want to hear but it is the truth and you need to do your time before you can get a dedicated run or local.

KH

chompi Thanks this.
  5. Dizzles

Jan 8, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Thanks Rerun!!!!

6. Dizzles

Jan 8, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Yea I'm gonna try to stick it out for a year, I'm positive it'll pay off!!!:yes2557:

7. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee

you are most certainly welcomed....:biggrin_25514:

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I don't believe that anyone is telling Dizzles that it is going to be "a walk in the park" to get what he wants. It is going to be #### hard to do, and he is going to have to be lucky enough to actually BE in the right place at the right time. And one thing is certain, if he does not at least TRY, he won't stand any chance at all.

I agree that his best bet to getting hired, is to go back through school all over again, but we all know that even THAT is not a guarantee that he will be hired on with a company that he can live with for a year or so. But I also know that strange things happen in this life, and if you don't try, you can't succeed.

Dizzles, one of the things you need to do, is to set up a "tickler file" on your computer. Detail where you have applied and when, and who you talked to and what type of response you have gotten. Then set alarms at appropriate times to remind you to do follow up.

What you are doing here is becoming a "professional salesman." Only the product you have to sell, is yourself. Go into your interviews well prepared and dressed appropriately. If you have a six foot hair growing out of your nose, trim it off before you go. Doesn't hurt to keep a change of clothes in the car with you, for those times when you pour pancake syrup down the front of your shirt, just prior to an interview. (Don't ask me how I know about that one.):biggrin_25512:

The biggest thing of all, is to keep knocking on doors and keep your confidence up. And you have to be willing to roll with the way things are. If that means returning to school, and then a year or so of OTR so be it.

9. Dizzles

Jan 8, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Thanks Don, I just found out my old college has a trucking program now that I can attend to for little to nothing through the finance department. After I attend the schooling, I have a few company's thats interested in bringing me on. Its a flatbed company stationed out of Alabama and I would be running the southeast region and home on the weekends. They said I would be able to take my truck home after my 6 weeks OTR training and after that they would issue me my own personal truck and have the option to run regional, dedicated, or OTR. Swift gave me a call, but they said I would be out 2 weeks at a time mabey more and home for 2 days. Don't really think I'll go with that option. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Thanks again everyone for there advice and opinions!!!!!

10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    That flatbed might be a good gig! Good luck!

11. Dizzles

Jan 8, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Thank you sir, yea they said they'll bring me on as soon as I finish a refresher course, and get confirmation from the school that I attend. There Prices are great, family owned, and seem like there cool people. I'm sure I'll post another thread to keep you guys updated as soon as I get this ball rollin!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.