Newbie question - please be gentle!

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by flagrunner, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Just due to COVID I don’t think that’s the best approach. I’ve seen lots of offices with memos on the door turning unsolicited people away.

Most of those outfits should have someone handling recruitment, give them a call and discuss your plans with the recruiter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Just wait until sleepy Joe gets ahold of the reins.

D.Tibbitt, AModelCat and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    We'll be just as screwed.

D.Tibbitt and Phantom Trucker Thank this.
  5. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Assuming that it generally works the same way in Canada as it does here, apply at companies that provide CDL training. You’ll probably have to do the same thing that you’re facing now, agreeing to work for the company for a fixed period (usually one year) to pay off your training, but you’ll be driving a truck to do it.

6. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    Just want to make a point that OP posted in the Canadian thread, yet Americans are giving him the bulk of the advice which will only mislead. USA is a different beast.

In Canada you don't have as many options for training. If you're not going through Employment Insurance or WorkComp to pay for your CDL then you must finance it yourself. From my last understanding, the law is against lurking workers into a field and locking them into a work-contract. Unlike in America. Since OP states he is employed, he will have to finance everything himself. At which point of successful graduation and attainment of articulated trucking driving license, he will be posed to the forces of inexperience. From my recollection the only companies to hire rookies are owner-ops for team, or small companies owned by immigrants; typically East-Indian, Fijian, or East-Euro. They usually overlook the 2-year experience requirement, however, problems with equipment and pay arise.

Canada's laws exist to protect the worker from certain forms of abuse, yet expose them to numerous others as result of those very laws in place. The whole process and system is in need of reform, but we've been talking about the for the last 40 years. Good luck OP, also Edmonton? ouch that's cold.

magoo68, AModelCat and flagrunner Thank this.
  7. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I would avoid getting trapped into a company by having them pay for your training.

skipgears Thanks this.
  8. milesj

milesj Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2020
    Not sure of your status, so I am not sure if you would qualify for student loan to pay for the Class 1 course or not, it's something to explore. Lot's of small owners looking for guys and they usually care less than the bigger companies about having years of experience, but not always. I ma not sure f any of the driving companies will allow a finance deal or not, but one option for work is temp agencies, they seem to be very short of people for warehouse work. Sometimes its a foot in the door, and sometimes is actually long term work in a warehouse. May keep you going till you get the license and get something driving.

I wish you luck, and completely understand how you feel. I was an O/O in my 20's then got a trade ticket and went into oil/gas, then into the office for the last 15 years. Have been feel stuck in cubicle hell for a number of years, then covid hit. Lost my job and was dire straights for work, ended up driving for a small outfit here in Calgary, and remembered how much I love doing it. I ma back in cubicle land right now, and hopefully very temporarily, as I am currently working on a deal to buy a truck then haul flatdeck Can/US for a company out of Vancouver!

flagrunner Thanks this.
  9. flagrunner

flagrunner Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Thanks milesj. I've sent of some speculative applications but I'm feeling less hopeful now. There is no reason anyone would take a chance on me with my experience. I almost have enough for the training but that would be my total savings so I would need a stable, decent paying job whilst I do my training, and also some kind of guarantee (as much as you can get) that once I complete my training, I'll be given a chance to drive. Otherwise, it is just too great of a financial risk. If anything happens, I'll post back here. Thanks all.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just buy the license out of a crackerjack box like everyone else that moves here to drive truck.

Seriously some of these clowns are unfit to push a wheelbarrow through an open field.

skipgears Thanks this.
  11. flagrunner

flagrunner Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2020
    I understand your frustrations AModelCat. There was a horrific incident here in Edmonton last week where a tow dolly wasn't hitched properly and came loose, killing a young teacher. If I pursue this dream, it will be by the book and will many hours of study to understand all of the safety requirements and procedures.

skipgears, Flint1 and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.