Newbie to WSE, here I go!!

Discussion in 'Willis' started by gwhitson, Jun 14, 2008.

1. dbook

dbook Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the info. WSE is at the top of my list of 3-4. I'm waiting on some tax info (self-employed) before anyone will get serious with me. My BIG question for you is about the fitness tet. How much do you have to carry and how far and how high do you have to lift it? Other companies are having you carry 70#s the length of the truck and left 50#s above your head. I have a bad back and carrying 70#s that far will be tough.

PLEASE let me know - thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dbook

dbook Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ

Thank you, sir, for serving our county and protecting our freedoms for all of us!

I know Ada well, I lived in Enid for a few years.

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  4. gwhitson

gwhitson Light Load Member

May 30, 2008
    Ada, OK
    Well since this is a reefer company, I'm not sure, nor have I been told of a PFT. If you look at the other threads here WSE pays for all lumpers so you really don't have to touch freight if you don't want to, therefore, I'm assuming there is no PFT. My recruiter has been very honest with me and has never informed me of such so I'll say at the moment there isn't one. I looked at Maverick and they have one, since intermediate to heavy labor is involved tarping and securing loads. Anyone else who know for sure please post..lol. I'll look into that question on Monday (may wind up doing a PFT, but doubt it) and post it when I get back to my room that night.:biggrin_25525:

5. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    Welcome to the forums, good luck with the training..Volvos ride nice, but they do tend to have problems like most.The volvos I drove were more set up like a car, and not much in way of guages, just the normal air, water, oil,voltages and that is pretty much it. Some companines have more it all depends on how much cash they have to spend.. Hope you get a full sleeper, the one I drove had a small sleeper, but got use to it. They also do not have much room for storage..

6. gwhitson

May 30, 2008
    Ada, OK

Well thank you, it was a great experience. If only my son would get off his butt and enlist..lol

Yeah, Ada's not a bad place, we just live for HS football...lol

I like Enid well, seems like a clean, nice town..I was up at Vance a few times and one time went to Pioneer Days when I was a paid firefighter and competed in the Combat Challenge...FEB02 I believe

7. gwhitson

May 30, 2008
    Ada, OK
    Yeah that's what I heard, the size is a bit small for fat guys like me..lol. I've spent most of my travels in the air, so when I took the bus up and rode I80 across WY I was in total awe of the beauty, so I'm looking forward to seeing the sites......:yes2557:

8. gwhitson

May 30, 2008
    Ada, OK
    Went well today, met the instructors. The facilities were clean and very well kept. There's 4 students total. We were given the keys to a company car, and are allowed to use it after hours for grocery runs, errands, etc. We all took the DOT physical and passed with no problems. Also took some practice tests to see where we stood as far as the CDL permit test goes.

Just thought I'd leave this real quick, then in a few days or so I'll recap the week.

dbook Thanks this.
  9. dbook

dbook Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Have you taken a strengh test yet? The one at Central requires you to carry a 35#, 50# and 75# the lenght of the trailer, and lift some over your head to a shelf, I'm told. Anything like that? The 75# worries me.

10. gwhitson

May 30, 2008
    Ada, OK
    No strength test here. Tomorrow morning we're gonna take our written test for the permit, then we're gonna start some basic manuevers in the truck. I'm told, each day will consist of the first few hours in class followed by lots and lots of driving.

We're meeting each morning at 0730 at the terminal which is probably 4 miles from the motel.

11. dbook

dbook Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    So far that's good news. I've never had any upper body strength, lots of lower body but weak arms. A bad back will do that to you.

Please keep us posted, I'm talking with Central, Prime and WSE as we speak. I'd like to go with WSE, then Central and leave Prime as my fall back choice. I'd really like to know what to expect from WSE.
    Thanks

My parents years ago had to actually kick my brother out of the house before he finally got a real job. Now he's better off then all us 4 kids together! Figure that!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.