Newbie trying to be rookie...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Ham Hock, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Ham Hock

Ham Hock Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Taylor, MI
    Afternoon all... Long time lurker, brand new member, soon to be rookie driver (hopefully).

Based out of MI, and thought about driving for quite some time. Finally decided to pull the trigger, and go for it. Losing the day job will do that... :( A little worried since bills are going to start piling up bigger than they already are.

Passing all the practice tests with 90% or above, and pretty much got most the info down... pre-trip seems to be my biggest hang-up... Wishing I had a truck to practice on. LoL

Took an initial offer from CFI to do their schooling, and brushing up on my stuff before I hit the DMV for my permit.

Really liking the camaraderie within the forums. Lots of good, helpful info, and I look forward to sharing my own soon!

Thanks for being active, drivers!

shogun, x1Heavy, meechyaboy and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Welcome. You’ll do great.

Ham Hock Thanks this.
  4. Ham Hock

Ham Hock Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Taylor, MI
    Thanks puppage, sorry for the late reply. Finished my first week at school. Was supposed to go to Crowder, but it filled up, and I didn't feel like waiting, so at Truck Dynasty. Not sure why people are harping on this school... the instructors are great. The equipment could be a little better, but they aren't so bad that they're not safe for learning maneuvers on the yard.

First week down, two to go. I got the maneuvers down, and working on my double clutch, but worried about my pre-trip... not too much stuff I can forget to make room to stuff all that #### info in my brain. Lmao

I still feel like a little kid, playing with the "big trucks". I'm a bit miffed that I didn't do this sooner.

Puppage Thanks this.
  5. daylight76

daylight76 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    curious what did you do before trucking? Im thinkin about trucking

6. Ham Hock

Ham Hock Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Taylor, MI
    I was in healthcare management, but I also ran a few businesses of my own, and did photography.

Trucking had come up a few times prior, but this time I listened.

This is my last week at school. I test on Friday, so hoping for good results.

FlaSwampRat and Puppage Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    "Wishing I had a truck to practice on..."

Oh no Suh Pilgrim, you see heah, there are those that DONT FIX trucks. You would be wishing you had people to fix them.

Ive had companies in the past root out the key box and hand me the oldest tagged truck on the lot. At 50 feet and closing you know right away shes not doing well.

8. daylight76

daylight76 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    what will you be doing Regional , OTR

9. Ham Hock

Ham Hock Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Taylor, MI
    OTR

10. Ham Hock

Ham Hock Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Taylor, MI
    Heading to CFI, so hopefully have a newer truck waiting for me

FlaSwampRat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Ham Hock

Ham Hock Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2019
    Taylor, MI
    Passed my test this past Wednesday. Heading to Joplin today for Monday Orientation. Thanks for the support, everyone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.