Newbie who has cdl looking at prime

Discussion in 'Prime' started by bigpapa7272, Nov 12, 2008.

Do you enjoy working at prime??

Poll closed Nov 19, 2008.
  1. *

Yes

33.3%
  2. *

No

16.7%
  3. *

I dont work for prime

83.3%
  1. bigpapa7272

bigpapa7272 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Baltimore
    I talked with prime today. Their program sounds decent, maybe a little long but at least i would make decent money during training and have a decent starting cpm of 34 when training is done. I would go as a company driver not a lease operator. I was told i would train in the reefer division, but could move over to the flatbed divison once i got some experience. At least they arent trying to get me to be a lease operator out of the gate. Training pay and mileage pay once training is complete is better than most starter companies out there. Any one have any thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. renegade966

renegade966 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I also spoke to Prime just recently, and am a strong supporter that there is no better way to learn than to "go out there and do it" and Prime seems to have that philosophy for their apprentice drivers (which I may become, haven't quite made up my mind yet), I mean who wants to drive around a training yard for a few weeks.

4. Nomadbeginner

Nomadbeginner Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2008
    La Grande, Oregon
    I also talked to Prime again today, 3rd time in 2 weeks,
    I just finished and have my CDL, so I need a job bad, and no one else is hiring !
    I have been told
    your school doesnt count
    your out of our area
    need experience
    not hiring

So I will go to Prime just to get some experience, and I am NOT going to look at OO or leasing any time soon thats for %%%% sure !

LOts of the other Better companies have told me , get 6 months exp. call us back !

So, I am giving it the weekend to read and stew on this forum,, then on monday I am going to call somebody, Most likely Prime, maybe CREngland, and see if Stevens calls me back,,,,,,,,,,,

5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    As long as you go in with your eyes open and know what to expect and stay away from, you can get your wheels under ya and move on a bit later. This would be a good time to be going through training, as you'll actually be with a trainer during the winter, and have a chance to learn how to handle the winter.

6. bigpapa7272

Sep 9, 2007
    Baltimore

yeah lilbit i agree about the winter training no matter where i go

7. Nomadbeginner

Sep 13, 2008
    La Grande, Oregon

Winter driving? LOL, I'm in Oregon, we already drove our fully loaded training truck in the snow and frosty roads :biggrin_2554: and have put the chains on the racks ready for winter.......

I just need a job and will bare with it to get a weekly paycheck, don't care if I don't get home until next year :biggrin_25515:

8. grandpawspeedy

grandpawspeedy Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Philadelphia,pa
    I hear the truckin bussines is going to get better in 2009 is there any truth to that?

9. bigpapa7272

Sep 9, 2007
    Baltimore
    i think it will, i just think people need to take a chill pill when it comes to the economy

10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Missed that you are in Oregon. Must not have had enough caffeine when I posted that! :biggrin_25512:You should know all about winter driving already then!

Go with the company that seems to be the best fit for you, and if things aren't working for you after 6 months or a year, you can always find something that fits you better.

11. Nomadbeginner

Sep 13, 2008
    La Grande, Oregon
    Hey Lilbit,
    Yes that is what I plan to do, Go Get Experience, try to find what I want later.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.