Newbies pets and log books???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dobman, Nov 28, 2006.

1. dobman

dobman Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2006
    As a newbie looking for the first company, I am considering those companies that allow a pet (dog). Can anyone suggest a few good companies to consider?

Also a thread on TMC (which by the way does not allow pets) was written by a student driver who complained about pressure to adjust the log book and put in hours above what is legal. Is this a problem common with the industry or is this the exception? Is there any way to address the question before going on board? (probably a nieve question)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    Pets,,,,as far as I know you will just have to ask each company that you are considering what their pet policy is, and be prepared to pay what is often a large deposit.....always get a receipt for it, and from what others have said be ready to loose it.

As for over hours/log book adjustments, no company is ever gonna admit to you that they ask/suggest/demand that their drivers do anything under the table or illegal. JMO here but I would post the company you are looking at in the questions from new drivers area and get feedback from other members. There are some companies with a bad enough reputation that everyone knows about them...ie Swift, JBH, but others are less obvious. Just remember YOU drive that truck, YOU are the one who will be in huge TROUBLE if you are "cooking the books" and have an accident, the company will deny any knowledge of the practice and YOU will be left hanging out to dry.

chralb Thanks this.
  4. dobman

dobman Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. I guess that I realize that pressure can be put by a company with the the results as you describe. I guess, a more accurate question is "do they ever put the kind of pressure on you to either cook the books or quit?". I guess the answer is that it could, but is this a common problem that I will likely face. I am looking at USF Glenmoore, CFI , US Express and Roehl.

5. luvmyhubby

luvmyhubby Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Sidney MI
    lets put it this way, my sisters bf was pulling out of the lot in Fl, first time out for new company, owner walks up knocks on door and says "oh yeah, you know how to back up a log book right?"......oppisite end of spectrum...hubbys company will give you log book violation points on a monthly basis if your log book has mistkes, to many of those and your in the office.

drivers running illegal is part of the business, they wont fire you for refusing to run illegal (most of the time) but your miles will be cut, loads will be yukky and your dispatcher just might have an attitude about your home time too......so whats a driver to do???

My advice is always refuse to run illegal, if they start to dish out bad loads/miles etc, find another company.

6. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Many companies will not allow any illegal logging/running. Melton is one of them. They check your logbooks against your quallcom everytime you come into a terminal. You can't get another load to leave until you have been to safety for a log compliance check. I agree wholeheartedly with the post above. If you are pressured to run illegal leave. It's you who will be fined, lose your license, sued, and jailed if something goes bad wrong while you are running illegal.

7. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    oh and on the pet issue. I decided to leave mine at home since we'd both need to go in the morning when I got up. You then either leave your pet in the truck while you go relieve yourself at the risk of him doing the same while you are gone or you take him first while you do the " I gotta go" dance. Not good either way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.