Night Dispatch: The bane of my existence.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dr. Venture, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    oh - there's MY ETA and the ETA I give the company.. I didn't mention that. I never cut it that close when talking to dispatch. I take MY ETA and add 3 to 5 hours, depending on terrain and likely traffic conditions at the end points.

We use mostly interstates - but even then, I can't figure based on even 60mph average - that's what I'm governed at. :) I initially used 55mph, but that's over-optimistic going from Denver to the Bay area. It was much closer to 50. A run from the bay area to Upper OR on a US highway actually came out to a hair under 48mph average.

Hills, even small ones, kill me, if I have any kind of load at all.

On the other hand, the other day, I went from Billings MT to Casper WY and averaged just under 58. Of course, the load was only 15K pounds, and the hills are less steep.

Another thing I'm making notes on is what companies accept early arrivals. Some don't care, some have "windows", and some are #### particular about when you roll through the gate.

A database is a wonderful thing! :)

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    I'm with brick,

I use 50 mph, plus 10 hour break, plus P'break, plus a flat tire break.

60mph on longer runs.

Its easier to get there early and be a hero than show up late wanting any accolades.

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  4. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    when did you start with may?

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And this guy gets the prize. Thank you for clearing that up for everybody here.

Incidentally, a 20k front end is rare for a tractor unless it's a heavy hauler, and even then it's rare. These are mostly found on dump trucks, mixers, cranes, and are easily identifyable due to the tires being about 12-18" wde

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.