No CDL...gooseneck anyone cited over 26K?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Chris Routh, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    No it doesn't. That's the federal requirement for everybody. States can be more restrictive than the federal law but not less. I copied and pasted the requirements from the FMCSA website in an earlier post. Below that,

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/commercial-drivers-license/drivers

brian991219 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chris Routh

Chris Routh Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Yes Chasing, CA requires anyone hauling for hire to have a CDL. I've read lots of stories about that one, and they get caught crossing state lines at the first weigh station. Sounds like FL has a lot of weigh stations and like to stop you as soon as you crossover as well. I was hoping to simply avoid some of this govt crap, even though I agree with quite a few of the regs I've read. Don't agree that us farmers are exempt, and RVer's like my grandpa was exempt, even while backing the RV back up the off ramp, because he made the wrong exit, instead of going through turning around somewhere, but he didn't have a legitimate license(brain) to be able to do that. Don't agree with the sleeper requirements, when I can put a Select Comfort air matress in my backseat and sleep as well as I do at home in my Select Comfort. This is what I do at hotels as well, so what's the use.
    You know I think I ran over some chickens and a cow when I backed the hay hauler in between rows of hay, so I had breakfast next.....Will that count in Cape Cod? Seriously, anyone have any ideas on how to practice for the CDL then? So Heavy are you saying that I don't have to parallel park for the test? I haven't read up on that yet either? Chris

4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    My gooseneck has GVW of 14,000 I run under 26,000 has been running this way since 2008 I pull it with F350 DWD I know this subject comes up often. I have been inspected in most states I have run in. My state needs a class c to operate this setup.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  5. Chasingthesky

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    The first order of business would be to find out what the test actually consists of in your state so you'll know what to practice for. None of it is terribly difficult if you've had any experience pulling a trailer. In Arkansas for example, the skills test was pulling between two lines of cones and stopping so your bumper was within two feet of a line at the end without going over, then straight line backing out. Right hand turn around a cone without running it over or being too far away. Alley dock into a box and reverse serpentine through cones, though some states do parallel parking instead of the serpentine. Don't run over curbs or people on the driving section and you'll probably be fine.

6. RollingRecaps

RollingRecaps Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I don't know anything about your state of Ca. But in my state the exact skills test including the distance between the cones was in the book you can pick up at the dmv. So buy some cones and find an open area and set up the skills test and practice. You shouldn't have much trouble with your skills test. You can even see out the back window of your truck and you have a flatbed.
    I would say your hardest part will be the pretrip. Check out Youtube for the pretrip.

7. Chris Routh

Chris Routh Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Thanks all for the advice, and I was thinking those things, but how do I get to the open area pulling my trailer, without a CDL? I know, maybe go at 3am, or just pray I don't get caught huh. So Lite Bug of course per this discussion, your truck GVWR is 12k or less, which is the problem with me having a truck already with the GVWR of 14k, so the trailer will be 12k. This would be fine, but hauling 2 trucks/7k vehicles might be an issue. So I'm probably just going to go ahead and get the CDL and go with a 2-3 car, and upgrade in a few years or so.
    The reason I wanted to just start out small without the CDL, even for a few months, was to put maybe another 50+k miles on this free truck, and it will still have some of the same value since it has low miles for a 3 year old truck that typically has a decent amount of miles on them. From another thread at the car hauler forum, I've decided in order to go with a 4 car hauler, I need a 4500 or just go with a single axle semi, depending on more experience and research. But for the next year or so, just staying inexpensive, getting some experience, which would tell me if it's worth it to upgrade, stay in this profession, and of course get the CDL. This income is a side income, but it diversifies me, and could become a secondary income if needed from this and the other discussion forum. My wife is the main income. She chose being a medical coder, now auditor, and soon to be supervisor, because she knew she could work from home with medical records going digital, as well as having a flexible schedule, which is why I've been home with the kids, still am my own retirement fund manager/trader, a professional musician/private instructor. My main income was a band director, which I shouldn't have to tell you how teaching goes for the last 10 years or so. Yes I'm a farm boy at heart though.
    So thanks all for your input. No matter what, with me being a bit of an economist, I'm waiting for a few months until this administration gets going, and seeing how the rest of the world's economies react. I'm actually today seriously thinking about selling this truck outright selling this truck to get maximum value, and ordering a 4500 just the way I want, then upfitting it with a sleeper/backseat and flatbed, like I've found with a few companies. Did I mention that I used to be a sales manager at a dealership, so I know how to get them to sell me this 4500 at $500 over invoice.....know the price and pay cash, giving the salesman $200 and the sales manager $200, and the manager if needed $100, or buy them $100 worth of beer. However, I already know a Dodge sales manager that will do it. Did I also mention that my neighbor has already given me all of his contacts, and 80% of them are within 200 miles, and he's already mentioned my name to many of them, so I do need to get going soon. He's tried to get me into this business for a while now, but the economy wasn't right, or a good time for my family. Thanks again for your advice! Chris

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. Jeff Daniel

Jeff Daniel Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2017
    want to know if you can help me with advice on getting into the car hauling business. I want to do a 4 car setup with a RAM Dually.

9. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    A little sensitive are we? I answered your question. I never said anything about you "not" getting a CDL.

10. Chasingthesky

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I cannot, sorry. Not my area

11. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Having a trailer over 10k does not automatically mean you need a class A. Some states require it, but most don't and it certainly isn't a federal law.

You can legally pull a 14k trailer with a 10k rated 3/4 ton with a regular drivers license.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.