No charges Humbolt Bus Crash !?!?!?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Trailerdragger, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Did you not read the opening sentence?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
  4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    He said he WAS responsible for the accident

1st, He wasn’t over HOS so What does the schedule have to do with anything? And 2nd, he didn’t have enough experience to do anything but what he was told.

I find it hard to believe he ran the stop sign intentionally so no he didn’t CHOOSE to run the sign. He wasn’t paying attention.

LMAO herein lies the problem.

Phantom Trucker and Bumpty Thank this.
  5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    The bus locked up the brakes and skidded 24 meters before impact.....the bus was traveling 96-107 km/hr at the point of impact”.

So basically the bus was traveling 105-120 km/hr in a 90 km/hr zone while approaching a intersection that he was familiar with and one that he knew was blind and dangerous. I am not absolving The truck driver of any guilt, but I can tell you I expect My kids bus driver to take his responsibility more seriously than this guy did. Any good driver knows you check for cross traffic as you approach intersections and the fact that this intersection was blocked by trees Should’ve caused this bus driver to slow the F down and look for idiots playing with cell phones.

Motor coach drivers drive like the speed limits don’t apply to them

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    ...to put this in perspective, I think the report said the truck was traveling at ~90 km/hr .......that’s 82 ft/sec. it also said the bus hit the trailer just in front of the first set of wheels on the Super B. So in another 40 ft he would’ve cleared..... if the bus entered that intersection a half second later the truck would’ve passed in front of the bus untouched. Even if the bus driver would’ve only slowed down to the speed limit Until he cleared the intersection everyone would be alive today. I get we don’t blame the dead, but for the report to say he couldn’t have avoided the truck is less than honest.

7. Raamman

Raamman Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Airbase Two
    You mean your ooening sentence that i quoted in my reply ?

8. Raamman

Raamman Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Airbase Two
    He was being run ragged by his bos, who was squeezing his driver to maximize profit. The way i see it, this driver was exhausted from the previous 2 weeks of almost nonstop driving. He wanted to get to his destination asap so he could rest. Weve all been there in our own cab, odd hours that were sched for us by our dispatch for pu or drop. Dispatch never asks, they just say do if you got a problem its " call us " and "find a way". Just one more reason why i left otr. Im not into playing games. And i speak the truth that i know while others go along with the song and dance.
    He ran that stop sign deliberately because uts nowwhere in sask and even here daily i see rigs barreling through stop lights after they turned red.
    Yes he admitted sorrow but he also pleaded that he was a new driver, a weak crutch, a branch excuse that was held out to him by nany who sympathized with this new driver. As i said before, there are new drivers on the road daily inexperience doesnt count

rank and uncleal13 Thank this.
  9. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Since the beginning of this disaster I've wondered why the bus driver didn't see the truck before it entered the blind spot before the intersection and vice versa.
    I've driven both those highways and it's pretty much flat and wide open, you can see for miles in any direction.
    From Google street view the bus driver could/should have seen the truck long before the intersection and the trucker should have seen the bus if they were watching their peripheral view.
    At 400 meters south from the intersection the bus driver could still see the intersecting highway for about 400 meters east of the intersection and the trucker about the same distance from the intersection.
    I always suspected the bus was speeding and held some blame in this catastrophe, because I've never in my lifetime seen a commercial bus that wasn't speeding.
    What I do know from experience is, that most law agencies are willing to turn a blind eye to a speeding bus than they are to anyone else on the road.
    This fact has been known for a very long time and has even been immortalized in a song from 1967 by Dave Dudley, "The Truckers Prayer."

Canadianhauler21, tinytim and rank Thank this.
  10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Holy ####, I never saw that before. And yes, those bus drivers operate like they own the road. The rural transit buses in Saskatchewan are the worst. I've had them pass me over double yellows on two lane highways.

Canadianhauler21 and rank Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You think that's bad you should see some of the bus drivers in northern Alberta. I've been almost forced off the road by them a few times and witnessed it happen to a few others. Signal flash twice and they just change lanes. If you're in that lane, sucks to be you.

Canadianhauler21 and Zeviander Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.