No more TV antenna after FEB 09

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by GasHauler, Mar 22, 2008.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I hope everyone is aware that there will be no more TV broadcasts over the air after FEB 2009. Every TV station will have to be received by cable. I used to enjoy wactching the news or a good program before I fell asleep when I was OTR. After FEB 09 you'll be force to use some type of cable hook-up at the truck stops if you want to watch TV.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    you are close,every signal will be digital vs analog.receivers will have to be purchased as well as digital antennaes.or you can buy a digital type TV.all in the name of "progress":biggrin_25516:

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

You can buy a converter box with the government sending you coupons.

5. Mastertech

Mastertech Staff Leader / Admin Staff Member Administrator

Dec 28, 2007
    3rd Rock From The Sun.
    There will still be analog signals coming from the translators. So that being said there will still be lots of analog signals in rural areas for some time to come.

6. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    FALSE

Its the TV that will be obsolete, not the antenna! you can still receive singles in your truck! Just have to have a new tv. THe Naxa I bought at a pilot the other day ALREADY revieves the DTV signal. And let me tell you, it is REALLY nice. Much better. For the same station analog that is fuzzy and distant, the digital gets through with PERFECT reception. Channel numbering is wierd, though.

7. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    You still will need an Antenna... you don't have to have a cable hookup..
    If you do not have a cable hookup you still will need an antenna (same one you have now, no need to get a "special antenna) in order to watch TV.. The only difference is your TV must be able to receive digital or by a converter box that cost anywhere from $40-100 (with a $40 goverment voucher 2X per person)

Many other links but some have advertisements so I will not post them..
    Google "Digital TV antenna"
    If you TV does not receive digital and you need the digital converter box, you can pickup the voucher for $40 at Walmart, Bestbuy, CompUSA ext.. or mail in for it.. You can Google that info as well..

8. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Actually, you couldn't be FURTHER from the truth.
    FACT: February 09, 2009, ALL stations will cease transmitting in the old ANALOG frequencies and will ONLY transmit in DIGITAL Frequencies. You can STILL receive Terrestrial Television stations IF you have a television with a DIGITAL Tuner and an antenna capable of receiving the new DIGITAL signals. Short of that, you can get a DIGITAL converter to convert the digital signals to analog signals for the older televisions.

9. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    You are wrong as well.
    You DON'T need a "new" TV, but at minimum you will need a converter box to convert the digital signals to analog. But if any of you are smart, you will already have purchased a HDTV for your truck. A 17" goes for about the same a 15" color (analog) was going for 5 years ago. I have a 17" Polaroid HDTV in my truck I bought at Walmart for $235

10. DaveAz

DaveAz Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2007
    PHX, Arizona
    Also note...most TV's made in the last 10 years are digital/analog capable. MANY will never know the difference/change.

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Hey listen, I've been further from the truth before! I stand corrected on a few items.

123456 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.