No more TV antenna after FEB 09

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by GasHauler, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Area904

Area904 Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    WOW! I never read so much misinformation and misinterpretation in my life! Even those of you that are "almost" right got something somewhere wrong. Where to start? How to simplify this mess? What was the ORIGINAL question/statement?

Will today's TV antennas be a thing of the past? Absolutely NOT! There is no such thing as an analog only or digital only antenna! If somebody tries to sell you a digital only antenna, they are ripping you off! Your current analog antenna will still work perfectly for local digital broadcast TV, just as it already does, if you happen to have a TV with a built-in digital receiver. Frequency determines the type of antenna you need, and both analog and digital operate in the same band of frequencies. Just not the same individual frequencies (channels).

With that said, it should be obvious that broadcast (free over the air) TV is not going away. In fact, there will likely be far more free digital channels than there ever were analog! You WILL NOT be forced to buy cable or satelite to watch TV. The Jacksonville area has 6 full power analog channels and several "low power" analog stations. ALL of the full power stations have digital counterparts already broadcasting, and most of those have several additional free channels as well! The local PBS channel went from 1 analog channel to 5 digital channels, all with different programming, all received free on my 10 year old outdoor "analog" antenna on my digital TV! What about the low power "community" analog stations? They won't be touched and will continue to broadcast in the current free analog band, as they fall under a different set of regulations due to their low power! No convertor or digital TV need for low power analog TV.

Then, why go digital? Analog TV requires a channel that's 6-mhz wide and can only transmit one channel at a time. A digital bitstream requires only one specific frequency (not a 6-mhz bandwidth worth of frequencies) so we can cram 19Mbps of any kind of information you want in that same 6-mhz bandwidth. You can broadcast many different digital TV channels, hundreds of radio stations, phone service, internet, anything digital, all at the same time, and all within that same original 6-mhz bandwidth! This is what they will be selling off... slots within that bandwidth for individual services and within the same band!Not the bandwidth itself! It suddenly "creates" vast amounts of room for communication where none existed before.

Will my analog TV still receive analog channels? Yes, but only if you happen to have one of those low power analog community stations nearby, and they're just aren't that many of them in most areas of the country. In most areas in fact, there are none. You would need a digital receiver conversion box to receive any local digital channels on your analog TV (connected to your same old antenna).

I'm on cable! Will I need another convertor box for my analog TV? No, you shouldn't! Nothing more than the cable box you already rent or own, but not all cable companies use the same technology, and you may recieve a new box as part of a system-wide upgrade. The cable company will automatically convert the digital channels to a format compatable with your cable box and current TV.

All TV's made and sold within the last 10 years have digital capability! Sorry! That's just not so! Not even all "digital" TV's have built-in digital receivers. Many only convert the analog picture you now receive to a digital display, often with no better resolution than you had on analog. They are really only computer monitors coupled to an old analog receiver! (My computer savvy son-in-law got jipped on one of these. He thought he was getting something because it had a 5-foot wide "digital" screen. It's a piece of junk, and he will need a convertor box!)

Okay! More later! Gotta go watch "Ice Road Truckers" in HD and surround sound!:yes2557:

NickyBobby Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Not sure what you have posted here that has not already been coverd...

4. Area904

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    You're probably right! I'm just trying to compile the info into one post so others don't have to read the whole thread. Their choice.

I have to say that I love technology, but I hate the farce the Fed is shoving down America's throut concerning digital TV. Sure, it's a beautiful picture when you have it (on a HDTV, at least - I see nothing special about a digital picture on an analog TV), but it is much more susceptable to terrain and weather than analog. With both analog and digital capability on the same TV, it's easy to compare. I don't live in the deep fringe (about 35 air miles from the transmitters), and get a more than adequate analog signal, regardless of weather (not much of a terrain problem in Florida, though). But, If it starts raining between me and the transmitter (happens everyday, lately), my digital channels signal level drops significantly, and I experience "tiling" and loss of signal so much you can't enjoy watching TV. I wind up switching back to analog to finish watching the show with the least interference. After february, I don't have that option!

But, technology advances, and digital TV is in it's infancy. Hopefully, getting the signal to the public interference free will come quickly, and the things we can do with it with future technology boggles the mind! I'm still waiting for my own "Holodeck"! :biggrin_25520::biggrin_25525:

5. lookingup

lookingup Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2006

after you people are done debating:biggrin_2551:......does anybody have a recommendation on a inexspensive antenna that works on a digital t.v...., perhaps they have one at home already and it does good

sorry for the dumb question but dang all this stuff is exspensive, maybe someone got lucky and found something reasonable.....

:biggrin_255:

6. Area904

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    You do NOT need any special antenna for digital TV! Use the same TV antenna you always have! If you have any reception problems (that you didn't have on analog) you may need a bigger or higher antenna, but it is still JUST a TV antenna... nothing special.

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  7. Truckerjo

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Exactly, any UHF/VHF antenna will work... even rabbit ears.. YOU DON'T NEED ANY SPECIAL ANTENNA......

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  8. cinjade28

cinjade28 Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Welch, Oklahoma
    My kids are having a fit..I told them I was turning the TV into a fish tank. I could care less if we have tv in the house. They are glued in front of it and we have 15 acres and livestock so maybe they will get out and get some fresh good ole country air.

9. Truckerjo

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana

I hear you, my son is glued to that T.V... I have to force him every night to turn it off in order to get in bed.. The kid has everything and he is only 6 (turns 7 in a few days) he has a 4 wheeler, motorcycle, Go cart, plenty of land, animals and he rather watch T.V all day.. I just can't understand why???? when I was a kid i would of loved to have the things he has... I practically have to force him out of the house.... I never was in the house as a kid, I always was out digging holes, blowing up frogs with black cats, you know boy stuff lol..

10. Area904

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    *Deleted!* By me, for being off topic and NONE OF MY BUSINESS!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  11. Truckerjo

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Trust me when my kid understands what "no" means... I am not one of these push over parents who tell their kids to take a time out or stick your nose in a corner if you know what I mean...

Look I am not sure where you come from but around here kids start driving young.. I was driving a tractor on our farm when I was 6..

I think you missed the point.. what my kid has is irrelevant, that's my choice.. I am talking about this knew generation of kids growing up that rather stay inside and play video games and watch T.V......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.