No place could ever top Webster at C&S

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Snoogler, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Snoogler

Snoogler Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Webster Trucking at C&S Wholesalers was the best place I ever drove for. They paid you for everything: You got delay pay if you were stuck in traffic for longer than an hour, you got 5 dollars for returning the truck at the end of each day, instant reimbursements in cash for hotel stays with your day cab, instant cash reimbursement if you had to pay a toll if your EZ Pass didn't work, 35 dollars in cash if you drove over 515 miles for the day. Unfortunately, Webster lost their contract to nasty JB Hunt in 2012 and isn't there anymore. Sigh.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Is C&S in Houston or also other places?

4. Snoogler

Snoogler Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Brattleboro, Vermont, Hatfield, Massachusetts, Westfield, Massachusetts, Windsor Locks, Connecticut, Newburgh, New York, Chester, New York, York, Pennsylvania and Greenville, South Carolina.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I worked for Webster out of Newburgh back when they first opened the Grand Union warehouse there. Sure, they paid as you said but the dispatcher also did everything in pencil and they pushed you beyond hours often. Yes, for grocery distribution it was good, but I soon went back to car hauling where I belonged.

Only reason Webster lost the account was Michael DeSilva, the owner got divorced from his wife, the daughter of Richard Cohen, the sole owner of C&S. If he could have kept the marriage together the company would have still been around. Webster, Brattleboro Haulage, B&H and all the other names were all running by the grace of his father-in-law.

speedyk, Lonesome, Oldironfan and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Most grocery outfits usually outsource the transportation department to trucking companies.

Snoogler Thanks this.
  7. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes, same C&S, they have grown into the largest wholesale grocery distributor in the US.
    About | C&S Wholesale Grocers

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Snoogler

Snoogler Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Now it is JB Hunt. There are two exceptions: Cowan runs the trucks for Westfield, Massachusetts and C&S itself runs the trucks in Greenville, South Carolina.

brian991219 and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I worked at Associated Grocers for awhile and USF Logistics took over the transportation department ,then Greatwide took it from them. That's a common theme with grocery outfits.

Snoogler Thanks this.
  10. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    They did, in a family way, until Michael was not family any more. Then the big boys came in, actually even before then. As they went thru rapid growth in the early 2000's they started using J.B. Hunt, Cowan Systems and others to provide transportation outside of their core New England base. I think the first location that was not a Webster Company was the Bethlehem PA warehouse, it was Schneider when it opened then JB. Also, Maryland was Cowan Systems.

Snoogler and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. Snoogler

Snoogler Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    C&S is the dominant one in the eastern half of the US. Acme Supervalu is the dominant one in the western half. Acme Supervalu had purchased Shaw's Supermarkets and pulled the contract away from C&S back around 2012. They then recently dumped Shaw's and I see that C&S delivers to Shaw's again.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.