No Power to gauges, overhead msg center, or ECM????

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Fishell Trucking, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Fishell Trucking

Fishell Trucking Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    I have a 2004 W900 w/ C15 Cat. For some reason or another today while in my shop, thank god, it decided to not start. It will crank over but I have no power to any of the gauges or the overhead message center. The check engine and stop engine light don't come on. I have been told that if they don't light up that u have no power to the ECM. I have checked the wires that go from the battery box to the fire wall the best I can and don't see anything wrong. I have tightened down my battery cables also. I have taken my key switch out and cleaned it up and put some electrical grease on the connections. I don't know if any of this is the problem but everything works for now. Does anyone have some other suggestions? For I don't believe that I have found the problem yet. Cause imagine this I went out to my truck tonight and turned the key on just to see what would happen and u know the rest of the story. Back to square one. Thanks Terrance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckmechanic

truckmechanic Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi Desert Ca
    Did you check all the fuses in cab and battery box? Depending on year,model,and make the fuses for the ecm can be inline on the harness could be the acessery relay I belive there is a fuse in the cab there is on a Pete I know when it goes out when you turn the key nothing will crank and not fire because your key on wire to the ecm has no power I would bet this is your problem

4. Fishell Trucking

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    The truck will crank just wont fire up. I did check the fuses but didn't check the relays. Thanks

5. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    sounds like a bad ground

6. Fishell Trucking

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    Hey I just went and checked my relay (ing bus) pulled it out and the truck does exactly what it did earlier today just cranks over and no start. Maybe Just that relay is going bad Thanks again

7. truckmechanic

truckmechanic Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi Desert Ca
    Hope you get it going I'm not sure if kw uses resetable breakers like Pete Probly something simple

8. KW Parts Guy

KW Parts Guy Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Yup thermal reset.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.