No start. 2014 Cascadia. Ultrashift. J1939 No trans code on dash. Fuse? Please help.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by truckin24, Aug 16, 2021.

1. truckin24

truckin24 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2019
    you are right i was wrong. it's neutral. slept a few times since i've driven it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. biopure22

biopure22 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2021
    any luck?

4. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Sorry, I forgot to report back to the PM on this issue.

The TCU is located on the left side of the transmission:
    upload_2021-8-25_13-27-15.png

The 30 amp fuse is the supply to the TCU that needs to be checked:

upload_2021-8-25_13-28-12.png

Disconnect the connector to the TCU and verify any water intrusion and also determine if that circuit is a short to ground (with batteries disconnected). Pin 38 to on the TCU is the batt supply. DO NOT poke and prod the pin on the TCU connector--use something that won't compromise the pin. Be careful!

One thing that I need to reiterate, is that when verifying the J1939, you need to make sure the batteries are DISCONNECTED in order to statically test the terminating resistors. With both 120 ohm terminating resistors installed, you should see a value of roughly 60 ohms--with batteries DISCONNECTED.

The majority of the concern here seems to be on the DRIVER side of the Powertrain:
    upload_2021-8-25_13-36-31.png

Attached Files:

biopure22 and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  5. truckin24

truckin24 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Sorry for the slow reply. Have been tied down with other stuff and didn't get to work on it until today. OHMs read 62 touching pin c and d. Looked all under truck and didn't see any places where wires were rubbing or anything. I am at a loss and going to have to call a professional truck mechanic I guess. Thanks all for the help and I will post back when I find out what it is!

biopure22 Thanks this.
  6. biopure22

Aug 22, 2021
    ah man dang..:(..no worries bro,i appriciate you keeping me updated,i really want to know now since its not what i thought,i hope you get it figured out!

truckin24 Thanks this.
  7. truckin24

truckin24 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Sorry for the slow update. Didn't have any updates until today. Got it towed last week. Guy at the shop was in a hurry today on the phone but said it was something with the transmission sending unit? Or control module? Whatever it was he said it's an easy fix but expensive and he doesn't know how easy/quick he can get the part. he's going to call back when he gets time and I'll get clarification.

Hoping I didn't mess it up by having the battery charger on it trying to get it started. I'll feel like an idiot. Can't imagine it wouldn't have something built into it like a fuse that would blow. I almost feel like that would be it since it was fine when it was parked 6 months ago and then batteries were dead and I tried to jump it and no dice.

Thanks all for the help you are great people!

biopure22, flood and stuckinthemud Thank this.
  8. truckin24

truckin24 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Went to the shop today and transmission computer apparently is bad. Can’t believe it but I guess it’s $2500 for a new one. Is it often these just go bad? Ugh. Any place to buy reman or off a salvage truck? Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

9. biopure22

Aug 22, 2021
  10. Bwasz

Bwasz Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2022
    Did you end up getting the part? If so did it fix it? We have the SAME issue right now.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.