"No Thru Trucks" what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Vito, Jun 2, 2014.

1. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    El Paso has a lot of signs with a truck in a red circle/slash with text that reads "Over 26 feet in length". Some, depending on the road, also add "except local deliveries".

Vito Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I did that in NJ once when faced with a receiver located on a road with '4 ton weight limit' signs at each end of it. Yes, I drove 5 miles around to the other end of the road to find the second sign.

Their response?

"Yeah, just ignore the signs and make your delivery to the newspaper loading dock. We know trucks go there all the time, and it's fine".

:banghead:

Now I just ignore signs like that if I'm within a few miles of the shipper / receiver, and I'm on the most direct route to them from an 'approved' route. Unless it's a low clearance sign. Those get my attention.

Vito and Wooly Rhino Thank this.
  4. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

I do a LOT of retail deliveries to little locales and the occasional residence someone is working a home office out of. I do it in a regular OTR rig. It has been my experience (painfully a couple times); The red circle signs indicate HAZZARDS that are gonna muck you up if you tread in there. Plus the ticket and recovery unit and what not to get you outta the jam. The No THROUGH Trucks sign mean "we don't want you here but if you are delivering here there's nothing we can do about it." They also tend to be maneuvering challenges, but doable ones. I have to think of them like Yield and Stop signs.

5. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Truthfully, I have always seen signs as targets of opportunity. :biggrin_25525:

windsmith and Dave 1960 Thank this.
  6. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    I noticed a lot of roads out east have plenty of room for trucks but dont want the big loud truck to roll through their liberal road. I never go down a road where trucks arent allowed since there is always a detour. BTW I always thought the local delivery signs were for trucks like straight trucks, UHaul, UPS and FEDex.

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I have seen many places where the other side does not want them either.

Many of the areas just plain do not want trucks. Where I live they have local delivery, but do not allow through trucks. However, some OTR guy will believe the gps and head out on the shorter road finding it suddenly becomes weight based. Now, the liberal road as you call it, prevents the truck from going forward and ties up traffic.

To further complicate this, our new fire truck is close to 50,000 lbs and over the ratings for most roads, but exempt.

8. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    funny

how many times have you had a shipper/receiver located 500 feet past the NO TRUCK sign

and when you ask them about it, they say dont pay attention to the sign (its the ONLY way into the facility)

reminds me of the NY 12'6 overpasses i drive under

9. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    local delivery, it could be for big or small trucks

my question has always been, if my reciever is 1 mile down that road, does it count as local delivery?

10. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    One of our regular customers in Easton, PA has their entrance past a No Trucks sign. Getting to that place can be a chore since the whole area is littered with prohibited roads and they always seem to have the most direct truck legal route blocked for construction.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.