noisey transmission 18spd

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by hiwayangel, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Heres my old clutch i removed last year. Was abused by the previous owner. Not me, so lets get that on the table. Anyhow, heres what i believe causes that nasty noise while off the throttle and creeping. Broken spring housings and the fact that the whole housing moves withen the clutch.

Stray_Dog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Yes
    The Eaton replacement input shafts have narrower teeth and have quite a bit of play in them when installed and it is completely normal.
    With that being said it is not the cause of the nasty growling rattle you can get while creeping slow at idle speed.
    I have found that in the ones that I have seen that either the counter shaft gear teeth were worn out or the counter shaft bearings had worn over time and they were no longer shimmed correctly with the proper clearance which in both cases causes excessive gear play which causes the growling rattle.

4. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    My 18 does the same thing, if you roll around and listen you can hear a lot of transmissions do it. No reason to be concerned.

5. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Brand new truck with 20k miles on it has done it. Eaton says normal and my other truck does it as well. They say normal. So it’s warranted until 750k. Documented by Eaton and do I accept it

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. mike216

mike216 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Cordova,Md
    Make sure linkage rods on clutch aren’t touching frame of truck.Had problem on 388. Had to install washers in cross over linkage to keep it from moving and touching the frame when engine was pulling hard.

7. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Peterbilt clutch linkage -at least 379's and 389's are a joke, imho. And hopefully completely different than a KW. But even so not a bad idea to check. I have a 14 W9 with 550 isx and a 93 W9 with 425(yeah right) mechanical Cat. Both late model 18 spds. The Cummins truck has what my Dad always called torque vibration. Embarrassing loud when trying to idle up on scales loaded. The Cat truck is near silent doing the same job. The Cat truck has an Eaton 2050 in it. The Cummins truck used to have but it spit out a spring and pinched and would not release so I left it at MHC and told them to give it the works and use a new Eaton 2050 and Eaton install kit. Picked it up 2900 bucks later and they put an Eaton 1850 in it. Said they couldn't put a heavier clutch in than trans was rated. Well, it rattles 3 times worse than before and bounces way to much when easing around in low gears grossing 88k+. I doubt it will last a year. Mind you, I got 940k out of first clutch in Cat truck. Was a 15spd then.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.