NON CDL BOX TRUCK DELIVERY EMPLOYEE legality question

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by SlockMaster, Feb 24, 2024.

1. SlockMaster

SlockMaster Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2024
    So, I acquired a job delivering meat MOSTLY in state. (Maine) Occasionally there's a Massachusetts delivery. Driving a refrigerated 16ft box truck. I'm the only driver and the truck is owned / registered to the company. I am hired as an employee of the meat company. I Was never told anything about DOT, logbooks, weigh stations, left lanes, medical cards or drug tests etc. The gvwr is over 10k I believe, but under 26k. I noticed a DOT number on the side of the door. So it got me wondering. I have a regular class c drivers license. Not commercial, and I've never had any DOT training, physicals, or exams, nor been told of any rules or regulations. If I happen to get pulled over can I get in trouble for not having those things? Or can the company? I do have a sheet of paper that a sign the time I reach each delivery, and a BOL? I noticed another box truck go through the weigh station so I have been as well. Not sure if I'm supposed to or not but they just wave me through. I just get the feeling that I'm doing something illegal every time I drive lol. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    stop in the weigh station and ask.

I did when confused on what is or isn't required, when I was new and was hired by a private carrier driving a 6 wheeler.

like you, had no training or class B,(which I did need),. lol. was caught next day.

2 days on the job and shut down in Tenn. they had to ferry out another driver and me back.

while we waited the 4 hrs, I was tutored on licenseing, log books, health cards.

BUT, no tickets. he finally believed me, that it was second day, after calling the plant manager.lol

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    CDL not needed for that size truck,but you do have to track your start and stop time each day.You should also do a daily vehicle inspection,DVIR.Make sure the tags are good on the truck,current inspection and insurance card are in the truck.
    If the scales say All Commercial Vehicles enter,then pull in like you are doing.Sometimes the sign will say All Commercial Vehicles over XX lbs must enter.

SlockMaster Thanks this.
  5. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    You would need a CDL if it has air brakes.
    upload_2024-2-24_17-24-27.png
    DVIR from jj keller,you can get one at most truck stops.
    You can look up their DOT number on Safer Web,see if they had any issues.

SlockMaster Thanks this.
  6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    No CDL but over 10,000# requires a medical certificate and following the Non-CDL 150 air-mile exemption from hours of service.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.