Non CDL logbook requirement....??

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Accidental Trucker, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Thanks, @Moose1958, that was not what I was hoping to hear, but I thought that was right.

Last question: if all trips are under 150 miles, can the driver work under the 150 mile rules (I.e. time card vs ELD/logbook)?

If he does a long haul trip a couple of times a year, just run logbook (including previous 7 days, obviously) for those trips?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The way I understand it that is right. As long as you have that past 6/7 day history with the driver you are OK. EVEN if it is working local, just make sure those days are accounted for when doing long haul.

A ready mix company back in my hometown has only ONE driver that does long hauls as they are needed. Trust me on this, if you are mixing long haul with short haul operations its not a matter of if you have an oops, but when.

Blue jeans Thanks this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    We find ourselves in this scenario a lot. We haul our own equipment within 150 air mile radius predominantly, but occasionally have jobs farther away, or have longer trips when buying a new piece of equipment, or hauling for hire when construction is slow. Our trucks are eld exempt. We do use the Big roads phone app though when logs are required. I add in my notes when departing for a longer trip something like "local driving only" for previous 7 days.

Probably not legal, but I'll be ###### if I'm going back 7 days to recreate what I did locally, whether in a truck or on a dozer, when that is covered by time cards.I will not run a log while running equipment or any other non-trucking activity for weeks on end just in case I need to haul something.

Again, probably not legal, but I'll be ###### if I am going to log every activity I do just in case I need to haul something in two weeks.

Blue jeans and Accidental Trucker Thank this.
  5. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My information is somewhat old. Last I heard that ready mix company makes a copy of the drivers time card and sends it with him. He also has a letter stating he works local. His logbook simply shows him going onduty driving that syncs up with the timecards. The man that owns the company told me his driver has been stopped and has had no issues. It takes about 10 minutes to sync up a log book to a time card. This situation is far more common then most know. many local short haul operations sometimes require a long haul from time to time.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Legally you are not correct in having to have a logbook on Monday. You have to have Sundays, you have to have Tuesdays, but not Mondays.
    Here is the guidance.

Question 20: When a driver fails to meet the provisions of the 100 air-mile radius exemption (section 395.1(e)), is the driver required to have copies of his/her records of duty status for the previous seven days? Must the driver prepare daily records of duty status for the next seven days?

Guidance:
    The driver must only have in his/her possession a record of duty status for the day he/she does not qualify for the exemption. The record of duty status must cover the entire day, even if the driver has to record retroactively changes in status that occurred between the time that the driver reported for duty and the time in which he/she no longer qualified for the 100 air-mile radius exemption. This is the only way to ensure that a driver does not claim the right to drive 10 hours after leaving his/her exempt status, in addition to the hours already driven under the 100 air-mile exemption.

That said, yes you will have to explain to the officer why you don't have a log for that day, and may even have to fight it in court

7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia

I'm glad you added that last sentence and are being careful to separate the letter of the law from what a driver might encounter when out. A sketchy logbook is an open invitation for further issues. This is why I love how that ready mix company I spoke of did/done it. A copy of the time card was with the driver as well as a letter with direct phone numbers. I still stand by what I said about not mixing long haul and short haul if you can avoid doing it. Just a lot of problems can come from it.

8. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I think I'm going to suggest he keep his time on a phone app ELD like Keep Trucking. Because of the 8 days out of 30 exemption, the phone app should suffice (printer required?) as both the time card and the log bog in the odd case he needs to log. In essence, he'll be logging continuously that way and avoid some of the potential pitfalls pointed out here.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I was speaking to a guy this morning about this subject. This is what he said and honestly, it makes great sense. A local driver has to log past 150 miles but an OTR driver can still use a logbook/ELD when local. I asked him about form and manner. He said the driver just logs on-duty driving and works their route. Goes off duty for lunch and back to driving for the afternoon. If they change a city or town after arriving they just flag the city. This is the primary issue for some. Using a logbook for local deliveries is not something you see every day.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  10. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    We normally do short runs (less than 150 miles) with a rare long haul (over 150 miles). We operate under the short haul exemption that allows us just to use time cards, and switch to paper logs on the rare occasion we break the 150 mile limit.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Radius Around a Point on a Map
    You do realize it is a 150 air mile radius?

Stick a pin in the map at your starting/returning location and draw a circle out at 150 'air' not statute miles...or use the program that jumped in fromt of the quote. As long as you stay in that circle and return within the rules you can drive a lot further than 150 actual miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.