Norfolk-Intermodal Discussion

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by GreenHorn777, Dec 24, 2013.

1. GreenHorn777

GreenHorn777 Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2013
    That's good to hear. I may also look into JB and CSX (although all the JB trucks I see around Norfolk seem to be company trucks). When other guys go in and get the containers, this is typically called a "dray" (from the word "drayage"). Some guys avoid the ports at all costs and sometimes I feel like never going back in! However this costs $$ and has you relying on someone else to get you rolling. I would recommend getting all the proper clearance (TWIC Card) and whatever else is required to enter the ports on your own and get comfortable getting your own containers. This will make you more desirable to a company you lease onto or a necessity if you are running under your own authority. Patience and keeping your eyes open is key in the ports. A lot of drivers and pier personnel rushing around males for an accident prone place. The majority of the pier personnel are in no hurry nor are they forthcoming with helpful knowledge.

Research the the available companies that will broker you freight and start calculating your expenses to run (even if you end up leasing onto a company, knowing your expenses is key). The additional fixed expenses that come along with an authority (additional insurance, consortium, UCR, etc) is easy to figure in after you have the operating expense of the truck and your wages dialed in.

I can't believe no other Norfolk based drivers have chimed in. As many drivers pulling out of these ports, I can't be the only one on this forum.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    I have always wondered about the dray. That's the thing about the port. How long can you actually be delayed there? That's my concern. I have only been there a few times, and had no problems (except not kmowing where to go), but some of these guys talk about getting tied up for hours and hours at a time. I would think j.b., schneider, and csx would have rail work also. At least around here, I had no problem getting in and out of the rails. That part of it wasn't bad at all. A flat on the chassis could tie you up an hour or so, but as long as your chassis was loaded it was really no different than any other facility that holds trailers.

You have good timing, I just calculated my expenses (to be leased on), and I am waiting for insurance quotes for my authority. I am about 6 to 8 months away from starting. I have been doing as much research as I can so that I will have the least amount of problems. Unless I get some kind of astronomically low rate, I probably will lease on until the following spring. The only thing that spooks me about any of this is not knowing how much I will make. How profitable will I be leased on? How much additional income would the additional expense of authority bring me? All questions no one can answer; the answer lies in the doing.

I am not interested in going too far, and I have been reading about guys that haul short freight. Apparently there is alot of that here in the Northeast, and if you watch the loadboards carefully, you can find some pretty good paying loads and still be home. I would imagine that if I had a trailer and I ran short freight when it is profitable, I could mix that with hauling containers, however that works best. I would certainly hope that I could always be busy and profitable like this. I don't know how it pays, but jb has a monstrous amount of freight, and I think you get paid the following week, and I think you get detention pay, even as an i/c. I think that is true of schneider and csx also. And jb has their own chassis which are supposed to be like new and extrememly well maintained.

Why don't these guys chime in? I don't know, but I think that the overwhelming majority of guys that pull intermodal freight do it without their authority. The more that I research trucking, the more I realize that some people just buy a truck and literally get in it and drive. They lease on to get a steady paycheck without a lot of headaches, and it's hard to believe, but I think there are plenty of people that have no idea how much money they need to earn. A lot of these guys exist by getting advances on every load and constantly juggling bills. That is definitely not the life I want.

Be safe.

4. rjones56

rjones56 Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    staunton va
    Been working the Virginia ports for several years, specifically APM and NIT. While there are exceptions, most one truck carriers will not thrive working the ports.Finding steady legitimate customers(i.e. not brokers or other trucking companies), as a rule, is very hard since you also have to work your own truck. I know of several who are running their own authority but get all their work from other trucking companies. Some are dedicated to 1 customer only, and end up with nothing to do during their customers slower periods. Still others who lease their truck to the mega port companies, with their $50 drays and settlement sheets that are so confusing they give you a migraine.
    I`m still looking for some way to get compensated for the hours spent in the ports, averaging 2-3 hours a day or more. Would also like to know how to get compensated for time spent on the road getting repairs to rented port owned chassis, even though that's gotten a lot better in the last couple years.
    They say there is no money pulling containers. I agree to an extent.I`m only running 2/3rds of the miles I did over the road, stands to reason I`ll only make 2/3rds the money. I have over-gross permits, most of my loads are 85,000# range. 440 miles a day, home daily by choice,weekends off.Not getting rich by any stretch, but make my own decisions and no boss changing my plans. I`ve always been a gambler, with a low tolerance for B.S., just hoping that I can keep trucking for 5 more years,or the right 6 numbers show up.Not sure that's gonna happen with trucking today. Good Luck

5. fca3waters

fca3waters Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2010
    belmont,nc
    if you got the time to teach what you know im prepared to learn,send me an email or a thread to communicate with you directly..

6. Classic97

Classic97 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Are there in Companies that you suggest brokering freight from? I live in the Norfolk Area been running containers the last 4 years. I have my own authority and right now I'm hauling reefer but my trailer is in bad shape getting ready ti park it. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated thanks

7. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    stay away from universal, roadrunner was literally driven out of north jersey for being such a great company
    container port is decent, btt is also good
    you cant go wrong with H&M
    those are port companies in your area if you don't have a twic card request it as soon as possible in the northeast area there's a 6 month wait for that card as of a few days ago... I hope this helps

Classic97 Thanks this.
  8. Classic97

Classic97 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Yeah I've had my TWIC Card for awhile I'm familiar with those companies

9. Maverick69

Maverick69 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    This was a while ago you posted this but send me a message maybe we can help each other

10. i95RoadRunner

i95RoadRunner Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Richmond,VA
    How are you making out? I live in Richmond and have been driving for almost 8 months (OTR & just recently since last month hauling cars locally) and I'm looking to get into containers. Is it worth it? I'm not going to be eligible for a twic card until 2018 though

11. Maverick69

Maverick69 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2015
    It's not bad but the delays up in north jersey ports are bad . You can still make money if you hustle and you can be home every night

i95RoadRunner Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.