North Carolina requiring a copy of your Med. Card

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by cruisecontrol, Feb 25, 2012.

1. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Rockingham, NC
    This is for those that didnt recieve a letter, or have forgotten.
    A while back, I got a letter from the NC Dot from Raleigh. It stated I had until Jan 31, 2012 to take my medical card to a local DMV office so they can make a copy of it.
    Sure, you have to show your card when renewing your CDL, but even if you don't have to renew, you have to send a copy of your card to Raleigh.
    The person at your local office will make two copies. One for them to send, and one you have to mail yourself. (makes sense, right?lol)
    The reason: Nc DOT is uploading your medical info onto your CDL. It will be coded into the barcode on the back of your CDL.
    I asked if that would replace the fact of me needing to carry a hard copy of my medical card, "No," she said. Okay, so what's the point? Apparently, there are a lot of back wood country boys running with a valid CDL but an expired medical card.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    It will eventually,

mean not having to carry the card.

But, not yet !!!!

4. AXE

AXE Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Not exclusive to NC, nationwide.

5. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    every state is requiring it. I live in OK and was just in NC with a friend I tried to help her get hers done, but she either had to be there or they gave me a form for her to fill out and fax to them. Nice people out there they were really helpful

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Doubt it will ever come to that.

The reason for it now is to have a secondary check and to start the process of restriction on the doctors authorized.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.