North Dakota oil field no experience ?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by MrIT, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    I don't want to be a stick in the mud or anything. And I respect the ND drivers who are making that good money.:biggrin_255:

But for drivers who are considering going to ND, do a YouTube video search of "Williston ND".

There are about 300 videos. Some eye opening information on there, for sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    I just got back from 1 year in Williston. If you have a CDL and a good work ethic, you will make bank. Will you be comfortable? Probably not, by the only reason to go there is to make money. Lots of those videos are older. They are getting stricter with who they hire now. I made some money but got out and glad I did cause there is nothing to do there.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  4. Driver5

Driver5 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Take those videos with a HUGE grain of salt; there's a TON of bad info in some of them.

Getsinyourblood, Wild Murphy and GSOK Thank this.
  5. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    I agree totally.

6. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Oil is pretty limited to right about 60 per week, since all shifts originate out of the terminal. Water is where the extra hours are, since trucks go on-site for days at a time doing service work, so we are paid from the time we get to the terminal, ride out to the truck for the shift swap, the work hours, and the time we ride back to the terminal afterwards, usually 14-15 hour days on swap. Other nights, we hit 12, like my 12.5 last night.

I forgot to add in the 6th day. You can still work a 5-1 schedule in Oil, thus getting 72 hours per week, but that is the absolute max.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  7. ironmule

ironmule Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2011
    PNW
    If you want to work and BANK $$$money nothing to do is how you do it.:yes2557:

Wild Murphy Thanks this.
  8. Chedwar91

Chedwar91 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2014
    I just got hired by MBI as a water hauler out of the Ross yard I will be heading up there on the 18 of August can anyone elaborate on the MBI pre employment physical ?? I'm in good shape I was really wondering if there was a sound box hearing test only because I have been around heavy machinery for the past 7 years and it has took affect on me a little I by no means deaf but a little hard of hearing ?? And this is my first post so forgives of I did this on the wrong place . Thanks in advance !!

9. dneno

dneno Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Vacaville, CA
    Chedwar91, are they providing free housing or do you have to pay. Also, are you working hourly or percentage? My cousin had been hauling crude on percentage, 23%, and made $114k last year. He has his own house so he could not give me much info on current offerings for housing except rents in the area going up. I will be putting out my apps next week to companies my cousin recommended for newbies. The reason I ask about housing is that another cousin working in Williston just had her rent for a 1 bed room apt. go from $850/mo to $2,500/mo. Since I am looking for a rotation position I want to try for free housing until finish my house and can move to ND. Thanks in advance for any info.

10. Chedwar91

Chedwar91 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Hey dneno there are way more qualified people to answer this question but I'll tell you what I know . The housing is not free at least not at MBI I was told 300-600 dollars a month depending on where they put you and you will have a roommate . The pay is hourly they offered me 20 per hour days and 23 for night and I know several water haulers for MBI on average they are getting 70-85 hours a week I'm sure this varies . And 2500 a month seems a little steep for a 1 bedroom apartment I myself am taking a camper you can get nice camper hook ups for around 800 a month me and a friend are splitting it so it want cost us much. And FIY MBI does hire newbies I still consider myself a newbie only 6 months experience but it is with a heavy haul company. Hope this helps !!!!

dneno Thanks this.
  11. dneno

dneno Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Vacaville, CA
    Chedwar91, thanks for the info. Just past my DMV test yesterday. May look to work part time out here in CA on weekends till I get response to apps. FYI, my cousin said some of the driver's working for the company he does have transferred to the Gillette office and have been clearing 10K a month. I had thought of going there but one reason for going to ND is to spend more time with my dad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.