northeast miles

Discussion in 'Prime' started by maizeblue2, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    All one has to do is drop over to the Landstar forum.

Our NE company guys get 41-cpm as do all of the OTR company guys for all miles, empty and loaded in a lightweight tractor, along with a variable fuel bonus paid weekly for fuel economy in excess of 7.25 mpg. That's easily achievable in all of our trucks. In addition, for all miles dispatched in the "NE region" they get an additional 5-cpm. Let's say their total compensation averages around 48-cpm for the purposes of our discussion, right out of the gate, with regular rate increases.

As for miles, reefer freight is a bit different than dry-van or flatbed. It's influenced by spring and fall produce, as well as the holidays. The OP was wondering about his miles in July. Every year I've been out and talking to more experienced folks, the bottom falls out of reefer freight right after July 4th, and recovers as the fall produce season starts increasing shipments. Talking with other folks in the last year or so, 2000 to 2400 miles per week over the course of a year is not an unreasonable average. Lets use 2200 miles per week. My average on the company side was over 2800 miles per week.

Hometime is 4 days every 3 weeks, not including the arrival and departure days. Company drivers also get a week's paid vacation every 125,000 dispatched miles. The NE division folks must live within the NE region, so there is also the possibility of spending a night at the house under load. Let's use 50 weeks for our year.

50 weeks x 2200 miles per week x 48-cpm = $52,800 gross.

Not bad for a brand new driver just turned loose in his own truck. One of our NE guys posted an income right about that level a few months back... just about $51,000. U2 (before he got himself banned) posted numbers in that range as a solo, and I had $47,000 and $48,000 roughly the two full years I drove on the company side. That's without the 5-cpm lightweight tractor pay, 5-cpm NE pay AND the 2-cpm general raise all company drivers received in late 2010.

Drivers have benefits including health, dental and visions insurance, DOT exams paid by the company, and access to life and disability insurance. There isn't any slip-seating- your tractor is yours unless you take an extended leave of absence. Company drivers get one of the three winter holidays, and I always got two. The company pays your miles home during the holiday.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Masdyl05

Masdyl05 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Not that anyone cares but I run in the NE. $1281.00 a week gaurenteed plus a 2 cent per mile safety bonus paid quarterly. And I don't have to run hard. Dedicated produce account. I get paid lumpers. Down fall is only one off for every six out. But you can make good money up in the north. I do agree somewhat with the hard ### O/O though. Guys do get suckered into some BS gigs. You can do much better if you take your time and find a good company. And I've only been driving for 7 months so experience doesn't always play a role.

morpheus Thanks this.
  4. Masdyl05

Masdyl05 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2016
    And I get an extra $100 for NYC runs and I average 1 a week so thsts $1381 a week. Over 60 grand and thats taking 8 whole weeks off a year

morpheus Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.