Not a broker posting thru independent Landstar agent, scam or not

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jacoooooooo, Aug 3, 2021.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Go with your gut feeling. If you don't take the load you can't get screwed on it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    This sounds like a scam to me...one name pushing you to another, no legal brokerage? I wouldn't walk, I would run away from that one at top speed.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    It's probably just a carrier trying to sign up O/O's under a Subhauler Agreement which is just fancy way of saying that they want to broker out some of their loads without having to become a broker.

I've done it a couple times, but I knew the people well beforehand so it wasn't an issue. Basically you're acting as an independent contractor, but they sign onto your cargo insurance as a co-insured, but other than that everything stays the same.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  5. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    You can tell within 20 seconds on a call with a Landstar agent/broker/double broker how it is going to go. Thus far I have had a few shady characters and the rest have been great. Of course a few of those were referred to me by folks who know much more than me. It is definitely a crapshoot with some of them. There are some I really enjoy working with, one phone call, negotiate price, rate, no BS. Fast payment.

I ran into my first double brokered load with them in Laredo, Landstar booked, Coyote paperwork lol. I got paid well and fast but it was a bit unsettling.

If it smells fishy just move on ASAP. Not worth it.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Another lousy $8K take home week before taxes, after fuel and truck.

I cannot emphasize how bad Landstar is, and to stay as far away as possible.

Screenshot_20210807-091546_Drive.jpg

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    So you grossed essentially 15k inside of 7 days as a solo dry van?

SteveScott and Stray_Dog Thank this.
  8. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Yeah, I don’t think $9200 gross pay would ever equal $8k take home pay, but everybody’s math is different so power to you.

Going back to that load I canceled it anyways, although he came back sending me their authority and bond, turns out they were legit, well you never know.

bluebob Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You know Dave, you really are doing very bad, I’ve only heard how bad people do with LS but honestly with numbers, everyone needs to stay far away from LS. No exceptions …

10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    All I hear from you guys is how bad LS is which obviously means good. Then we see ambiguous numbers posted from time to time while poking fun at others who do well in their respective areas under their own authority. Dave’s numbers above look like a bi weekly settlement to me. If Dave grosses 15k before LS cut in a SINGLE week then I’ll be the first to congratulate. His numbers look biweekly to me but poses as weekly.

I’ve grossed 12k in a single week on my own authority which I keep 100% but sure as heck not 15k. Once you guys do your 65% percentage things change drastically.

So, what’s the real story here big boys?

MTN Boomer and SteveScott Thank this.
  11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    When we start comparing junk size, I'm outta here. :eek:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.