Not a smart move for a guy hauling Haz-Mat.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Kapn, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OK, I will admit that my hearing can play tricks on me, but the reason I say he wasn't looking ahead, was because it sounded like he didn't get off the fuel. Sure you don't want to hit your brakes hard on snow, but wouldn't you think he'd get off the accelerator as soon as he saw what was happening?

not4hire Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sik_Life

Sik_Life Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Saint Albans, WV
    That's what it sounded like to me as well. I mean you can clearly see the guy coming but he made no attempt to do anything until he looked back up and saw him at the last second.

not4hire Thanks this.
  4. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    Ya think? lol!...yeah he was slow to get slower, maybe he just couldn't believe what he was seeing and was too stunned to react.

not4hire and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  5. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    If that's a shocking event to him then he has no business driving truck, those things happen everyday, its how you handle it that makes you a professional.

I'd bet that driver was playing with his phone, and started screaming when he looked up.

6. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    I bet his company bans cell phones while driving so that's not possible!!!!

Y2K Thanks this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    People keep posting "why didn't the plow truck driver get a plate number," but given the road/snow conditions, there would have been six inches of snow caked on the back of the trailer.

It does seem the video driver took too long to react (although it can be difficult to tell because the audio may not exactly match the video). If true, was he distracted? Was he daydreaming? Did he not recognize the danger? Did he think the other semi was going to complete the pass in time?

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    Yup,I'd have to agree with that, it's a lot like motorcycling or flying you have to keep a cool head in any situation and he was far from running with ice water in his veins.

Wouldn't doubt the phone thing either, see it all the time with truckers on the I-5.
    It really yanks my chain when they are holding up my already slow 62mph truck in the right lane and I move over to pass then as I get up along side they look up from the phone and step on the throttle leaving me hanging unable to complete the pass.

truckon, Aireal and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  9. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    LOL :biggrin_25523:

10. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Considering the video has audio, and you don't hear him talking. It's easy to assume he wasn't talking on the phone. Now, if he was screwing around with his phone text/surfing/etc,... his control in the snow would be considered amazing.

For those blaming the video driver... is there anything he could've done to stop in time with a) a guy coming right at him while b) he's going downhill with snowpack. Given the apparent distance, I don't see him stopping in time to allow numnuts to get back behind the plow any better than what he managed to do taking the guardrail. It's just a shame he didn't clip the back of the trailer to force the idiot to stay and pay for his mistake.

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Good point!
    He probably could not have stopped in time. That isn't my point at all. My point is that he still has his foot in it several seconds after he should have perceived there was a problem. While he may not have been able to stop, he certainly could have slowed down, and anytime you have a crash, the slower you are going, the less damage gets done.

I agree that he was between the rock and the hard place. But he could have mitigated his problem, some.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.