Not a smart move for a guy hauling Haz-Mat.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Kapn, Jan 29, 2014.

1. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    I didn't even have time to make a noise in the fatal accident I was in, I barely had time to get the brakes on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    "And that's when you hear the panic in my voice," said Ginter, "because I applied my brakes, and it wasn't slowing down. I was roughly 82,000 pounds [37,000 kilograms] and going downhill."

So that's what panic sounds like. Man what if that camera had smell o vision.

Hmmm, let me go down this hill at 55, 60 mph. If I need to stop I'll just hit the brakes and I should stop in a few feet. Wait a minute I'm pushing the brake and I'm not slowing down as fast as I would like. So instead of saying Oh HOLY STUFF THAT IS IN MY PANTS. I SAY WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING. I'M sorry something ain't jiving. I know he had to save face from sounding like Mr. ED having sex. (wonder how many people even know who Mr. ED is) But in defense I'm sure I would of hit a couple high asthmatic notes as well as needing a change of undergarments. The Prosecution Rest your honor.

4. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    He said the incident hasn't changed the way he drives, since he always prided himself on being a careful driver.
    "There's really only so much a person can do to stay safe out there," he said. "When it gets into a situation like this, I don't know what else I could have done."

Guess their will be a part 2. Where he doesn't pay attention, Slow reaction time, and lots of stab screaming :).

Big Don and crb Thank this.
  5. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Sorry to hear of your demise.
    My condolences.

not4hire, Big Don and truckon Thank this.
  6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    First, let me say that I'm sorry you were in a fatal crash. But it happens, and sometimes there really is NOTHING you can do.

I don't feel like I have been "making fun" of this driver. Fact is, I don't see anything funny about this incident. But I do see where the accident could have been avoided had he not been driving too fast for conditions, and I see where it could have been mitigated had he been paying attention and slowed down.

Unfortunately, I've been to more fatal crashes than I can recall in my years of LE, EMS and Fire. There is nothing funny about a crash.

7. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    Big Don

Re: post #46.

Extremely well stated
    :smt045
    :thumbup::thumbleft:Four thumbs up and a hearty:smt023:thumbright:

HerE-HerE.
    :smt112

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    I didn't specifically say you were, just after the comments by several people making fun of the guy, it upset me. It's not fun having another vehicle come at you, mine happened so fast that from when I locked the brakes to point of impact was 40ft and both vehicles were doing 55.

Big Don Thanks this.
  9. AfterShock

Sep 19, 2007
    I can only speak for myself here, but I'm not readin' makin' fun of or laughin' at the driver in question. More like ribbin' 'em and laughin' with 'em.
    All depends on how what's written is read.
    Being only hieroglyphics on a contrasting background, we don't have facial expressions, body language, or gestures to help us distinguish our meaning. Sometimes what we write is read wrong. That's why it's important to ask for clarification whenever in doubt. As we interact among each other we recognize they way those familiar to us behave. If someone's post seems out of character, chances are they're bein' misread.

Nothin' wrong with askin' for clarification though.
    That falls under Communication/Communicating

Oh Lord, Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood.

truckon and Big Don Thank this.
  10. Isp3c

Isp3c Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Update from the news, Freightliner Driver has been found and is facing charges from the OPP.

Pouring Coal, OldHasBeen and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.