Not impressed w/my school so far, am I justified in being upset?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Switcher, May 5, 2021.

1. Switcher

Switcher Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2016
    This post is about the driving portion of the class, the in-class permit portion was great. I'm going to school through a local college, and have not signed on w/any carrier.

Monday was my first day, a half day because they used the first half to test other students. One student came back from testing and had failed because she wasn't used to that clutch and stalled during the test. She had only been in that truck 2 times prior. They start the students on their beater trucks and then work their way up to the "testing truck."

The rest of the day was getting paperwork, starting the pre trip inspections, and then getting in a truck and watching other students practice the in cab air brake tests.

Tuesday I learned that a lot of the "class" is just standing around watching others back, or practicing the pre trips on our own. Class starts at 7 but there's little to no structure, no morning meetings, or finding out who is doing what and with who etc, and with new people coming in every week, everyone is at a different place in terms of skill set and time before they test.

3 other students and I went out to some rural roads to practice shifting, the first time for me. I was last to go, and did 2 laps, maybe a few miles total. The other students then got another chance to practice driving, then we went back for lunch. Get back from lunch at noon, no communication from the instructors until 1230 when they break us back into groups.

Time for yard backing skills, I did a couple pull ups and straight backs and that was it. Back to standing around and pre tripping. I found out that a teacher was let go a week or two before, and a truck which they recently added for yard skills, had a check engine light on, so we can't use that one. Their test truck also had to have some issues fixed, and still needs more work.

Today felt almost pointless. Get there at 7 and by 11 I didn't have any time behind the wheel. After lunch I got to practice the in cab/air brake test once. A little while later one of the instructors got us together and walked us through the pre trip, I think this was the first time I saw an instructor participate in it.

They've got roughly 10 students, 3 teachers, 5 trucks and I've driven maybe 30 minutes total.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Kyle G. and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    because a good portion knows that masks are a political scam. Do your research other than cnn

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd be pissed too if I were shelling out cash to just watch.

I took my training through a college and it was all 1 on 1 with the instructor. Each session was 2 hours. Start with pre-trip, a little bit of backing and then off for a 45-60 minute drive around the city.

JolliRoger, Brettj3876 and Switcher Thank this.
  5. Switcher

Nov 13, 2016
    They have written on their white board "no one on one teaching, group learning only".

6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I totally agree, but what does this have to do with this thread? LOL

Badmon, nredfor88, T.Rucker and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Switcher

Nov 13, 2016
    I initially mentioned it because it's something that I find frustrating but then removed it from the initial post because I'd prefer to get feedback on the rest of my class experience and not something political.

Badmon, slow.rider and Kyle G. Thank this.
  8. slow pok

slow pok Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2013
    lizela ga
    Hope u ain’t paying for it

9. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    What state is this in?

10. Switcher

Nov 13, 2016
    IL

11. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    Cdl school is designed to get you to pass the exam and get your license.
    You'll find the pretrip a memory game, the driving aspect easier.
    Initially, the pretrip is concentrated on to prime the pump and get you thinking about it.
    Driving time will increase as class progresses, and confidence builds.
    Roll with it.
    Can't expect all the fun stuff all the time.
    Work on yourself... nail your pretrip, the driving skills will come.

Badmon, Concorde and Switcher Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.