Not qualified because of work history ( My wife thinks its discrimination )

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by MixedMotives, Sep 21, 2012.

1. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    October 1, 2012, I will be 56 years old. I currently work at a retail outlet, have been doing so for 5 years. I am trying to last at least another 5 years to meet the 10 year verifiable work history requirements that many truck driving schools and companies require, providing that I do not get laid off or terminated.

I am doing this only because my last spell of being unemployed was "unverifiable" unemployment. I did not file for or receive any unemployment compensation at all. This was for a 7 month period. My family carried me through till I had found another job. During those 7 months, I was helping my 2 sisters to care for our elderly mother, before she passed away.

Rather than go through the process of trying to "fill in the gap" "through some service" I am trying to have a regular 10 year work history that cannot be torn apart. It is difficult and stressful, but it can be done. I am diligently try my darnest to meet this requirement to avoid having both the D.O.T. or any potential trucking companies "rip me apart" on this.

In the mean time, I am using the waiting time to get myself in the best physical shape possible, along with try very hard to get my health in the best condition possible. I am trying to maintain a normal blood pressure, maintain sugar levels to avoid diabetes, and trying to maintain both triglycerides and cholesterol to proper levels to avoid heart attacks and strokes.

I really do want to become an OTR truck driver. I realize that it must be done the right way to avoid rejections and penalties.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GMCTtrucks

GMCTtrucks Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2011
    mje - IF you have been with your current company for 5 years, I doubt you will have any issues

4. D33RHUNT3R

D33RHUNT3R Medium Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Nw Arkansas
    +1

My wife has been at home the past 12 yrs and she just started a job so she will have a 3 yrs work history
    that is really what most companies are looking at from what we asked of several companies..They just want to make sure you haven't been in a taliban training camp lately (lol)and your not lazy and a waste of time and resources..

mje..
    you might call a few recruiters and see what they say... can't hurt to check around it might just save you 5 yrs of waiting .... Good Luck..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    you only need 3 years if you are not already a truck driver

6. McKlakin

McKlakin Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    I am running into a problem, because my previous employer wont call back and verify that i worked for them. I even went to the employer handed him the number, and dates worked... he said he would call that day, and never did. Not really sure what to do at this point.

7. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    If you have the W-2 from the employer, that's enough proof of employment.

McKlakin Thanks this.
  8. McKlakin

Sep 28, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    I didnt even think about the w-2... Thanks!

9. Cobra67y20

Cobra67y20 Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Oviedo, Fl
    I got laid off back 2008, stayed unemployed until I formed a LLC Feb 2011. Wasn't able to get contracts with DOD so we closed business. I was able to get hired by trucking company showing my unemployment on w2 along with wife.

10. McKlakin

Sep 28, 2012
    Lexington, KY
    I submitted my transcripts showing ive been a full time student the past 4 years, my unemployment history also... The job i had was a part time bouncer at a bar... I dont even know why they need the info...

11. frozenirishman

frozenirishman Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Look im a trainer for FFE transportation we take people who have their CDL but havent driven OTR so give us a try we will hire you trust me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.