Not sure about this company.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jmarc77, Jul 3, 2022.

1. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    You do the trucking, I'll do the EDITED.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2022
    Reason for edit: skirting the filter
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Winner.
    I get what people are saying about thicker skin and big boy pants. Also the load you get is the load you get, deal with it. However they gave him an absolute pos truck to start in. Just my opinion but many times a company shows their true colors from the start. Things don't turn to roses from there in most cases.

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I don't think ABS and traction control are required items. I don't know what an upside down triangle light means. I suspect the DEF warning light means low quantity, but maybe not. Fill up the DEF tank next time you fuel, and then every 2 or 3 fuel-ups top off the DEF. I wouldn't drive with the seat like that.

Here's how I decide about truck repairs that are not obviously safety items. If you were driving home for time off and you discovered the item, would you drive it home or would you delay going home until it is fixed? Hopefully you don't see every issue as a safety issue, when it might be a convenience or comfort issue. I understand being given a truck that is in bad condition can seem like an insult from the company. It won't help you to view things as an insult when they may not be. Some drivers don't report issues with their truck for their own reasons and the company may not follow up quickly with the first report of things need fixing. I'm not in your truck, and you are. One reason I suggest new drivers stop rushing into this industry until they have found an employer they want to work for is because not doing that mostly hurts the new driver. I don't know if the holidy weekend is making it especially difficult to get stuff accomplished, but when the "VIPs" in the office go home lots of drivers are left in limbo getting problems resolved. Think about the long-term goal you have and make decisions based on that, not short-term difficulties. None of us are driving perfect trucks but that doesn't mean every truck is an accident waiting to happen.

Diesel73, Lonesome and jmarc77 Thank this.
  5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Follow your gut feelings and move on. Set your standards high and don’t look back.

I went through so many jobs the first couple years and it’s comical!

What state are you out of, maybe someone can give you lead’s on a better company.

jmarc77 Thanks this.
  6. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    Honestly, I can get over the truck being a heap. I can get over lousy runs. Eventually I'll get another truck and I'll always be getting different runs.

But the DM straight lying to my face and trying to gaslight me is the biggest red flag. Once a liar, always a liar and that isn't gonna change.

The DEF tank was full and as long as it wasn't derating, I didn't care about it. ABS light really isn't a big deal either. The drivers seat was an issue though because if you hit a bump, it'd flop back and you'd be laying down if you were leaning against the backrest. The steer tire at 6/32" was a bit iffy as well. Sure it is above DOT, but it was dang close, especially when the other side was nearly new. The biggest thing I thought was a safety concern was the fact that the jakes were nearly useless. Going down an 8% grade that is 3 miles long with a 42k coil and no jakes is a bit scary as a rookie.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  7. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    Also I should mention I spoke to another newer driver who has been here for about a month longer than me. He drove for PAM for 4 months before coming here. He also got a lousy truck. He told me he's been broken down for nearly as much time as he has been out. He told me that in another month he will have 6 months of experience and will be able to find something else but he was absolutely not staying here any longer than that.

8. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    The problem is that won't necessarily change just my changing company's. I would venture every driver on this site with more than 2 years experience has dealt with a lying DM. In many companies they are taught to lie to you. It's a part of trucking.

Sirscrapntruckalot and tscottme Thank this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I think you are right about the seat.
    Jake is not a requirement. Plenty of drivers don't even have one. I drove my first 3 years OTR with no Jake. I spent several years with a Volvo that just made a little extra noise. You just have to drive differently if it's not effective. You are not required to do the speed limit downhill. You drive as slowly as necessary to get down safely. There was a lot about my first year that was scary, but it's a job, not a birthday party. You can always quit later

jcatel and bryan21384 Thank this.
  10. Star Rider

Star Rider Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Michigan
    I see these type of posts and wonder how I survived. 318 detroit (low power, what power?) No power steering or AC, hendrickson walking beam suspension, jakes? never heard of them. We still ran all 48 and had no problems doing it. The truck you are complaining about was a dream then. Get your time in and move on to better things buttercup.

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    @jmarc77 yes I'm speaking directly to you. I know you're a bit frustrated. Some of the other guys are trolling you some, but if you can come out of your feelings some, you can see what they're trying to tell you. Quite frankly, I'm in line with what they're saying. You will need some thick skin for sure. Having a crappy truck is a great way to get some on the job training for real. You learn quite a bit from breakdowns lol. I've been there myself. Now read carefully what I'm telling you. When I began, a seasoned driver told me to stay out if truck stops. Reason being, is too often youncome across miserable drivers who can make you 2nd guess your moves within your career. Now you didn't talk to another driver in that environment but you did at the shipper, and now that's contributed to how you feel now. Do not talk to other drivers that much until you develop the mental aptitude needed for trucking. You'll have to understand that sometimes other drivers will get better paying loads than you, and vice versa. You can't let that get to you. You'll have to prove your worth to these folks. You do it 2 ways: reliability and availability.
    Try to hang in there, man. Don't look to switch so early. Take some lumps. Learn. Most of all, be patient. Most say 6 months, if you can make it one year, the whole industry opens up to you. All these companies are pretty much the same in a lot of ways. It does get better, but it doesn't get better unless you get better. That's not solely pointed to driving and securing loads. Yes you gotta hone your craft, but you gotta develop your bull #### tolerance, or else you'll have a short tenure here. So.....put down the battle armor, stop snapping back at folks on here and here what they have to say. Just keep trucking and hang in there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.